Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • IRR II Group 4 Pictures...."Quilters Around the World" >
  • IRR II Group 4 Pictures...."Quilters Around the World"

• IRR II Group 4 Pictures...."Quilters Around the World"

Old 11-24-2009, 11:17 AM

i agree with what mgrhs said we all try aour best and if we didnt think it was what was needed we wouldnt have put it on the quilt
    Old 11-24-2009, 11:28 AM
    Banned

I understand that everyone is (hopefully) doing their best work. And that everyone has different tastes, skills, etc. Everyone on this board (I'm sure) understands and is VERY accepting of that. That being said, I'm simply asking what you think someone should do if they didn't like what was done. What would you want them to do if it was you?

And obviously one response is "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn if they don't like what I've done, they can like it or lump it".

As far as I am concerned, I would prefer, and am requesting, that any of my group tell me if they are don't like, or even are only lukewarm about a border I've added. That's all.
    Old 11-24-2009, 12:41 PM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by gaigai

As far as I am concerned, I would prefer, and am requesting, that any of my group tell me if they are don't like, or even are only lukewarm about a border I've added. That's all.
    Me too. :) I'd rather redo if the person isn't happy with it then have them say they love it and secretly hate it.

On the other hand, I genuinely love what Patti's done to my rooster and can honestly say that I love the work in general of every person in my group, that I've seen, so don't anticipate not liking anything that's done to mine. Even if it's something I'd never do myself - actually ESPECIALLY if it's that. :D But what I'd do if someone did something that I truly couldn't live with? Toughie! Cross that bridge IF it come to it - but I'm sure it won't happen. :D
    Old 11-24-2009, 03:10 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by k3n
    I'd rather redo if the person isn't happy with it then have them say they love it and secretly hate it.

I,,,can honestly say that I love the work in general of every person in my group, that I've seen, so don't anticipate not liking anything that's done to mine. Even if it's something I'd never do myself - actually ESPECIALLY if it's that.

Exactly and me too.
    Old 11-24-2009, 03:27 PM
    Power Poster

I joined a swap a long time ago not on here. And I got back some atrocious blocks!! Extremely poorly made and I would have been totally embarrassed to give. Not just beginner quality but really really badly made by people who were just too careless and in a hurry.

So when I thought about joining my first Doll Quilt Swap the question I pondered was can I accept a quilt that is badly made? I decided that if I was going to join I had to do it with the grace to accept whatever I received or I shouldn't join. As I have said many times in the Doll Qult Swaps. - It isn't about what each person does it is a chance to give something of yourself and some love and acceptance to and from your friends. It should be accepted in the spirit of giving of yourself and accepting the same from your friends. I have not been disappointed yet!!

So that all said I would try to accept anything done for me with good grace and go on. I am not in this IRR as I don't do big quilts but I hope you don"t mind my adding my thoughts.
    Old 11-24-2009, 03:36 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Rhonda
    So that all said I would try to accept anything done for me with good grace and go on. I am not in this IRR as I don't do big quilts but I hope you don"t mind my adding my thoughts.

Not at all, Rhonda, and I'm happy you responded. I too love every little DQ that I have received, and am in awe at the work done by my IRR group. I couldn't be happier. But the topic came up, and since I love everyone in my group and adore their work, this seemed a safe place to ask the question.

But I think you are right. This isn't about different levels of ability, but perhaps feeling that someone didn't work up to their known ability. But if that was the case, they probably wouldn't care or would be upset to have it not celebrated. So, silence is the best option.
    Old 11-24-2009, 03:54 PM
    Power Poster

Gai the other thought I had at the time I wrote the first response was if a person really really had a problem with something I think if a pm was sent and the issue discussed gently behind the scenes with the person doing the work maybe a compromise could be worked out with no hard feelings. But that would be my last option. And only if I really felt extremely about it. My first response is not to hurt anyone's feelings.

But I have also experienced not liking something but the more you look at it it can grow on you.

And I have to say I haven't seen anything but first class work in the colors chosen the theme followed and the work done on any of the swaps I have followed. The skill levell isn't even a consideration for me. I so enjoy other people's take on adding borders or putting colors together etc. Good job all!! and I so appreciate being able to watch as you guys go through the process!!
    Old 11-24-2009, 04:17 PM

All very good points Rhonda. Thank you for your input.

Also one thing to consider is that until the last border is added, the quilt is not a finished product. It's possible that what initially seems to be an unattractive addition may actually work out beautifully once all the borders have been added . . . somewhat like using a darned ugly fabric in a pieced quilt, then loving the overall outcome in the end.

Personally, I've been loving each addition to the centers as I've followed the threads for all of the groups. I believe that ALL participants in this IRR are putting their hearts into every stitch and I would fully trust any one of them to add to my center. When Suzi added her border to my center this round (Group 7), I was so excited! She took it in a direction I never would have thought of and it's all the better for it. Just gorgeous.

There are risks involved in any swap, including that of possibly not liking the outcome. But knowing that the members of your group are doing their best to listen to each quilt and add what they believe is the best addition they are able, in my opinion overides all other concerns. You know the old saying, "It's the thought that counts." So much time and love are being devoted to each quilt, it can't help but touch my heart. Thank you everyone for the work you are doing and sharing pictures of your beauties!
    Old 11-24-2009, 04:29 PM
    Power Poster

OK....I had hoped that the issue was addressed on the front end of the IRR...."graciously accepting your quilt"...but I can understand the discussion.

I have to say that as I read through the responses I kept looking for the one comment.....yes...finally...sew cornie made it..."Also one thing to consider is that until the last border is added, the quilt is not a finished product. It's possible that what initially seems to be an unattractive addition may actually work out beautifully once all the borders have been added ".

I have to admit that on some of the quilts last year that came to my house I thought..gee...not my style, or oh...I might not have used this fabric...or whatever, but when those quilts were finished....my gosh...they were fabulous and I love them!!! So....you might need to consider this before you even inadvertently hurt someone's feelings

If at the end you find you just CANNOT live with it, then, its your quilt, by all means, remove the border and do something else...but PLEASE...do not post a picture of it as this would hurt someone's feelings and we do not want to do that.. Please...
    Old 11-24-2009, 04:48 PM

thank yoy sandpat