• Just a few of my quilts...

• Just a few of my quilts...

Old 09-13-2011, 05:14 AM
    Banned

brilliant!
    Old 09-15-2011, 04:03 PM

All lovely. The Kissy Fish takes my eye and the D9P
    Old 10-15-2011, 06:24 AM

Thanks to all.. I do appreciate the kind words!!
    Old 10-15-2011, 07:03 AM

I like them all
    Old 10-17-2011, 12:52 PM

Highmtn, your points look so perfect! You must have paperpieced the Americana. The corners are too perfect! I love the fish and the beads! Of course I would! It is a darling wall hanging. All of them are great! Thanks for sharing the link! I have not done many pieced projects, maybe I should try a wall hanging.

I see you have a recurring horse theme going on here! I love the comical horse fabric, how cute! I have collected oodles of pictures of horses to applique, one of my favorite subjects too! Are you in horse country?

I want to do a sampler too! OMG, you got a ribbon on it too! I was thinking about trying a Dear Jane-ish sampler, maybe not so big a quilt, but I don't think I could ever do it by hand to keep it authentic. I would have machine it. With all the handwork I do in applique, I don't think I could hand piece or hand quilt anything! I really like the machine for piecing. I wonder if I could manage a dozen blocks all in one project. I am really ADD hindered. And I need to make a bedquilt, it is almost like a marker to show that I can complete a larger project. They are all wonderful! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Kitty
    Old 10-18-2011, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by KastleKitty
    Highmtn, your points look so perfect! You must have paperpieced the Americana. The corners are too perfect!

I see you have a recurring horse theme going on here! I love the comical horse fabric, how cute! I have collected oodles of pictures of horses to applique, one of my favorite subjects too! Are you in horse country?

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Kitty

Kitty...
    Thank you! Thank you.. guess what? Nooo paper piecing or machine applique on a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g. There were paper templates used inside the Grandmother's Flower garden hex's and the Dresden Plate block, but the only paper piecing I've ever done was on the backside when making the signature block for that sampler. Machine sewn blocks, and hand applique on a few of them in the sampler. I adore the Ohio Star and I spazz out if I sew off TIPS.. so.. I'm just used to cutting/sewing with certain steps. One of the BEST things I ever ever did for myself - as a newbie quilter - was to go take an in depth beginner quilt class (the sampler photo posted) from a local woman who's #1. Very traditional and #2. A stickler for a few proper processes. Don't get me wrong...she's a very SWEET stickler, but she just never let me develop any bad habits. Our entire first class (which was 3 hrs) she went around and made SURE everyone KNEW exactly where a 1/4" seam was on their machine (surprisingly - it varies). Between being taught the importance of accurate cutting of fabric...and knowing exactly where your 1/4" seam is.. I just have had no problems sewing crisp points. I give all credit to that sewing instructor. It was a tough class...it went on for approx 4 months, but if you were willing to try...she was more then willing to stick by your side until you GOT a process down pat. We all loved her.

RE: Horses. I spent many years in Idaho and we were a horse poor family. Lots of mountain riding to fly fish high mountain lakes, hunting, a little endurance racing - me, team penning, poles/barrels - me and some rodeo. Not hardcore rodeo like many (traveling all over the USA), but local stuff. My son was serious and rodeo'd all through high school and all the way through college. He still team/calf ropes. The horse quilts were done for his family, and now they have their first baby on the way.. .so...that's the blue/brown baby blanket. When I moved to WA state I sold my last horse ( an awesome little breeding stock paint mare). I have neck/back issues now...and just didn't want to chance doing myself in. I had my moment in the sun...and enjoyed every minute of it. Now.. I cheer from the sidelines and quilt/paint/ and play with my grandkids...lol
    Old 10-18-2011, 06:52 AM

I never would have thought you like horses, great quilts, beautifully done.
    Old 10-18-2011, 07:07 AM

This is so exciting! I could have sworn that you paper pieced! I have to do a few traditional blocks for pillow fronts to try it out. Maybe then I will be able to take the plunge into a bedquilt. You did a magnificent job!

The horsing around you did in your past sounds more fun to me than you can imagine! LOL I would love to live in the wild west, before cars. There were very few on my street in my childhood and as I grew up I saw more and more of them. Too many, and people changed too with the abundance of automobiles. I wish all my needs could be met within my own town so I didn't have to go miles and miles away to shop. I personally think that the advent of what we call "stress" has come about because of our artificial need for speed and the automobile. I really don't think it is in our best interest, health-wise. Animals are natural stress-relievers, and you can't replace the affection you get from them with anything mechanical. I bet selling the last horse was difficult. Sorry to hear that it had to end. Have you done any horse appliques? You could do a ton of beadwork there! That is why I have collected my horse pictures, for the beadwork I can do on them! LOL Kitty
    Old 10-18-2011, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by debcavan
    You make great quilts. I enjoyed them.
    I agree.
    Old 10-18-2011, 07:28 AM

The sampler quilt and the Christmas tree are my favorites!