Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Kate Henry's PVC structure idea >
  • Kate Henry's PVC structure idea

• Kate Henry's PVC structure idea

Old 01-13-2015, 01:04 PM

Default Kate Henry's PVC structure idea

Thanks to Kate Henry's post earlier this week, my DH and I decided to try this idea. We put up the structure this morning and just have a few adjustments to make before finalizing it. I used it (as is) FMQing my GGS quilt and I think that it is going to revolutionize my FMQing. No more "fighting" the quilt. My block lays flat with no tugging and it moves as needed without restraint. Now, I must admit that this is a quilt the size of a large throw. By no means is it a Queen. So have to take that into consideration but for now, it is a "WOW". It leaves brain cells open to focus on other parts of the technique. Here are my photos and thank you, Kate, for your great idea and, yes, it didn't cost more that $40.00. Love it!

FYI. Our structure is a "U" shape. We could not find the same corners as Kate but we worked it out another way. I used both elastic and woven strips to hold the quilt and I believe that I like the idea of elastic. The shower rings work beautifully and the clamps are fine too. I am short, 5'1" and I am able to reach everything just fine even without being able to walk around the back of the structure.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]505942[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]505943[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]505944[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]505945[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails cimg4448.jpg   cimg4449.jpg   cimg4450.jpg   cimg4451.jpg  
    Old 01-13-2015, 01:24 PM

That contraption sure looks like it will make the FMQ'ing so much easier. If I had to do any quilting on a regular sewing machine, I would definitely get one of those made up. Please show us your quilt when you get through with it.
    Old 01-13-2015, 01:40 PM

It looks great - what size pipe did you use?
    Old 01-13-2015, 01:59 PM

I made a similar thing but I used dog grooming arms from Amazon. Just clamp them to your table and add clamps to the already attached ropes. Here are the ones I bought: http://www.amazon.com/Master-Equipme...oming+supplies

They cost a bit more but they are easier to set up and you can take them down in a jiffy!
    Old 01-13-2015, 02:44 PM

leah day showed this a couple of years ago on her blog, there may be instructions threre
    Old 01-13-2015, 02:49 PM
    mkc

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy
    It looks great - what size pipe did you use?
    Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts
    leah day showed this a couple of years ago on her blog, there may be instructions threre
    Kate's original topic, pictures, materials, and assembly instructions are here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...e-t250308.html

Michelle
    Old 01-13-2015, 02:58 PM
    Power Poster

Looking good! It makes your own quilting cubby! You could hide in there and no one bother you.
    Old 01-14-2015, 08:14 AM

I will try this again. Hi Kate Henry here. Thank you for the kind words I have found many uses for this and it includes hiding. My daughter is teaching me to pp. I clip the pieces in order down the straps. (this is great for people with short memories) The straps have held many things. My sewing room is my bedroom and I can hang a small lap quilt so don't have to look at what I should be doing.
    Old 01-14-2015, 02:48 PM

quilting candy! Both Kate and I neglected to say that the diameter of the pipe is 1 1/4". Kate did state to use the heavier/sturdier pipe (40). Also, my height above my sewing table is approximately 40 inches high. I'm sure that you could go higher if you are quite tall. I am not! Used it all afternoon today and I am so pleased with this method. No more "fighting" the quilt. (Still have to stop and adjust the clamps but that is not a problem. Gives me a break.
    Old 01-14-2015, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by kate henry
    I will try this again. Hi Kate Henry here. Thank you for the kind words I have found many uses for this and it includes hiding. My daughter is teaching me to pp. I clip the pieces in order down the straps. (this is great for people with short memories) The straps have held many things. My sewing room is my bedroom and I can hang a small lap quilt so don't have to look at what I should be doing.
    Kate! This made me laugh. My DH said now I won't know if you are there or not. LOL. It is a little cocoon. Love it! Thanks again for sharing your idea and the supply list. It helped greatly. Yolanda