Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • The KS. crazy quilt pix >
  • The KS. crazy quilt pix

• The KS. crazy quilt pix

Old 04-01-2012, 01:53 PM

That is so neat, looks like a good way to get rid of alot of scrap. Would love to know how to get started making a quilt like this. Lap size to start. Where did you find instructions?
    Mumzer
    Old 04-01-2012, 01:54 PM

I forgot to add, rotton thread is your worst enemy. Poor storage in damp conditions or cook in attics weakens thread over the years. One of my great grandmothers quilts literally turned to dust. My grandparents didn't have a clue as to where NOT to store it. The latest is to store them in cotton bags so they can breathe. I make bags from yard sale sheets made into envelope-type bags and place them on shelves of a wardrobe, but don't ever place a quilt against wood directly or you will get orange-brown stain. Use a buffer between the qult and wood. Some of my mother's quilts were damaged in her prized cedar chest. "They" say storing in plastic causes yellowing. We used cleaner bags in the 50-60s, but that fell out of favor, although it kept them clean. There is just no pleasing "They" say. Plastic tubs are better than nothing. There isn't as much trouble with mice now a days, but the little critters have chewed many an heirloom. Those little round holes are hard to repair as they require all 3 pieces and matching them too. Fabric yellows over time, but can be helped by gently laundering them. There have been many articles on QB about this. This is what makes matching the fabric color so difficult. Sometime the fabric is so degraded, it falls apart under the needle, so you have to drop back and take in more area and sometimes attaching to a seam for strength.
    I digress. There is just so much to it and it has to be learned from practice. When we get good at it, we can't see to do it anymore and go to our great reward. Someone younger needs to pick up where we left off. Come on ladies, just save a quilt from time to time.
    Old 04-01-2012, 01:58 PM

There are books at JoAnn and on line. My friend Shirley found crazy quilt foundation blocks, printed on muslin in Florida. I have asked around mid Tennessee, but they just look at me like I have 2 heads. Somebody out there makes it and it really speeds the process along. When I was a kid I tried it wihout and help and that was a mistake. Draw out a block and then piece it. Make sure you can cover all the raw edges as you fold and sew. It is too hard to go back and fix it if you find raw edges. I will post an appeal for the foundation by the yard on QB. We can all make crazy quilts and chat about it.
    Old 04-01-2012, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by mumzer
    That is so neat, looks like a good way to get rid of alot of scrap. Would love to know how to get started making a quilt like this. Lap size to start. Where did you find instructions?
    Mumzer
    I was curious to so I did a search and came up with the following link from Connecting threads. Not sure if this is what you have in mind, but if you scroll down the page past the strip part there is a section that shows how they are starting a crazy quilt with muslim as a foundation. Hope it helps give you an idea.

http://www.connectingthreads.com/tut...tion__D63.html
    Old 04-01-2012, 03:38 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by mumzer
    Mumzer

well, this quilt was made back around 1895-1905! SO, I did not make it.
    You can find tons of information on the net about crazy quilting, or crazy patchwork.
    Old 04-01-2012, 04:10 PM
    Power Poster

what a treasure
    Old 04-01-2012, 04:57 PM

Were the people at the estate sale able to give you any information on the quilt top? (e.g. a hint to it's history) and did you peek around for any other pieces that might have been been planned to add to it? I expect you did but I think we are all excited about the history of the piece. I am so glad it found you where it could be cared for.
    Old 04-01-2012, 05:49 PM

What an amazing find! Sure glad you found it rather than having it end up discarded after the estate sale. Even if no one wanted it now, don't you think someone must have treasured it through the years for it to have lasted so long? If only we knew the story of who made this beautiful quilt and where it's been all this time.
    Old 04-01-2012, 06:14 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Vicki W
    Were the people at the estate sale able to give you any information on the quilt top? (e.g. a hint to it's history) and did you peek around for any other pieces that might have been been planned to add to it? I expect you did but I think we are all excited about the history of the piece. I am so glad it found you where it could be cared for.
    the lady running the sale knew nothing about it...could not have cared either! I do wish I could find out something about it!
    Old 04-01-2012, 06:24 PM

If the sale was at a house, you might try looking at the property records for the address for a surname to attach to it. Then a bit of genealogy might provide the potential name of the maker.