Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • a landscape, work in progress >
  • a landscape, work in progress

• a landscape, work in progress

Old 09-14-2009, 07:04 AM
    Power Poster

Cutie, if only i didn't have so many things, literally stacked, right in front of my Rosie Janome. It's so beautiful.
    Just to help inspire those that are thinking about doing this: If you pick your own favorite flowers to use, you'll be so in love with your fabrics...and it really doesn't have to look exactly like the picture...I mean, it's the diversity that makes keeps it interesting, isn't it?
    I have an idea, for someday, with my favorite flowers...and hey, it doesn't have to be so sunny, or even just flowers, right?
    The possibilities are many...as many as there are admirers :wink:
    (P.S. your helpers are way too adorable...I love when you catch them on camera, playing peek-a-boo! :D )
    Old 09-14-2009, 07:08 AM
    Power Poster

you don't even need to use flowered fabric or just one or two, I originally though to do it with a bunch of different prints with this block, just with the colors that I wanted. the block gives you a bunch of shading options without having to find a whole bunch of prints and just cutting one or two pieces from them.

Thanks for the help QC,
    Old 09-14-2009, 07:14 AM
    Power Poster

Morning Cute, looking super fantastic!!
    Now you just come on down and you can have your pick from my stash for the border,and uh, it sure would be nice if you would stay awhile and help me with mine :D :D :D
    Old 09-14-2009, 07:32 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Cute - have you cut parallel to the selvedge as well as across to get your repeats ever for an OBW? Just thinking - if you only wanted a few blocks of several different fabrics. I've done it a couple of times when I only had a yard or less and found that it's tricky to line up the repeats EXACTLY - they don't seem as even going across the fabric as they do running up and down. Just wondered if you'd tried it and if so, if you had any tips! :D
    Old 09-14-2009, 07:43 AM
    Power Poster

I had two meters of the fabric and the repeat was three across, 6 inch repeat down, I could have had lots of little stacks. So instead of cutting it down the middle, I cut it in three. depending on the size of repeat, you can possible get all 6 of them across. just make sure where you are cutting is where it repeats. The only thing is that chances are that the print will be smaller and then you will end up possible cutting it small like I did so that you have what you want showing. make sure that you take your seam allowances off when figuring out what you want showing. I didn't want to colors bleeding into the other blocks, and part was that I had such a piece that I didn't want the same blocks, 6 inch repeat, if you cut 2 inch strips, you will get repeat pieces more likely if you cut more than one repeat, if you are only using one repeat you are safe. Does that make sense? for the blue, I didn't have much left, it was a scrap and the repeat was staggered so i pretty much had to almost fussy cut the repeat out, I have some strange scraps from that. When I do my tut, it might be a while, but I will try and cover all of it.
    Old 09-14-2009, 08:00 AM
    Power Poster

So here are my fabric choices for the boarder, might have to fill in some space between this border and the center, as it isn't like I can just cut it off where I need to, and then will probably need to border it again to get it big enough.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-11979.jpe  
    Old 09-14-2009, 08:20 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Thanks Cute - I read it twice and then it made sense but that's me being thick and not your explanation!!!

I love those borders fabrics! When you say fill in round the edges, do you mean rather than cut the points off the hexs?
    Old 09-14-2009, 08:35 AM
    Power Poster

Since it is a pieced boarder, it only comes in certain sizes, I have it 30x40, I have to figure out how to make it 10 inches to mach both side for it to or add pieces to make it big enough to get it in. I might have to rework some math here, i am sure that everyone is smelling smoke at this point.

I usually fill in the points, on this one due to time, I am cutting them off, the way I put it together I would have a Y seam to do it. If you change the direction of your seams it works in really nicely without Y's
    Old 09-14-2009, 10:22 AM
    Power Poster

I just love your choices for the borders!
    And I am so far behind! :roll: :roll:
    Old 09-14-2009, 11:10 AM
    Power Poster

That is going to be a very striking border!!! WOW!!! :D :D :D
    I didn't know that they had borders on that site, either!!! :shock: