Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Looking for Advice/Opinions... >
  • Looking for Advice/Opinions...

• Looking for Advice/Opinions...

Old 08-11-2010, 04:39 AM

I love purple and green! I made a crazy patch purse using these colors. You can see it in my webshots album called Handbags.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/follygirl
    Old 08-11-2010, 05:30 AM

I agree --- the one in the middle is distracting. Don't worry about adding more patterns and colors. As long as the prints are the same style it won't get too chaotic. (which is what would happen if you leave the middle fabric in --- see - you knew it all along) And after the final quilting is done, it won't seem chaotic at all. It will be beautiful!

Design boards are nice - mine is a large piece of insulating foam that I got at Home Depot (about $10) I used fleece to cover my board. My board just leans against the wall instead of being attached. Fabric will stick to it or I use pins when it is being pieced and starts to get heavy. A design board allows you to put the pattern together, leave it, live with it, move things around --- What I like the most about a design board is that I can move all the way across the room to look at it - and I squint. It helps to just see the color value and not the patterns in the fabric. If you do a search for design boards - you will find a ton of suggestions on materials that different board members have used to make them with.
    Old 08-11-2010, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by alikigirl
    I love purple and green! I made a crazy patch purse using these colors. You can see it in my webshots album called Handbags.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/follygirl
    You are quite a quilter!! That barn raising is so cool! Where did you get that particular pattern - it is so different and just pops!Thanks so much!
    Old 08-11-2010, 05:48 AM

Keep going with this quilt. It is perfect.
    Old 08-11-2010, 05:54 AM
    Power Poster

Do you have a digital camera? (or any camera, for that matter)

Take photos of various layouts and look at them.

Things sometimes look "different" in a photo than when just looking at it in "real"

Or one sees something differently - also if you can print up (or view) some of the pictures in black and white -

As someone else has already mentioned, it's also a good idea to take a picture of it "the way you want it" so that you can refer to it -

I also like it better with the lighter shades of purple added.

I think the more shades of the colors you are using, the better - because then the project will "go" with more things. (The reason for this statement - I am working on something with greens and lavenders - that I started years ago - and the green I'm using is really just "one" green and, with hindsight, I would have been less "matchy-matchy" with the green)

I agree with you and the others - that one piece is distracting and doesn't "go" with the rest of the fabrics you are using.

As far as the seam allowances go - if you are cutting your pieces all the same size - if you are consistent with whatever seam allowance you use - it will turn out okay.
    Old 08-11-2010, 06:58 AM

beautiful colors and you did a great job on the diamonds.....
    Old 08-11-2010, 07:00 AM

I love it.. go for it!
    Old 08-11-2010, 07:02 AM

Great colors and they look good together. Please post pics as you go along. Thanks
    Old 08-11-2010, 07:09 AM

If you add more of that striped fabric, it won't look so out of place. Since you are placing them one by one, you can be careful that you don't get two that are too close in value next to each other.Take a black and white photo of your layout, and you'll be able to see which are too close in value, and end up looking like on giant diamond. You are definitetly on the right track. Add some unexpected colors (yellow, pink?) or darks for interest. Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt!
    Old 08-11-2010, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Gerbie
    I agree I think the one in the middle takes away from the rest. I don't think I would add any more patterns, the ones you have now really look good together. Just my opinion for what it's worth. You can make your own design board. Get a very large piece of flannel, white works well, and pin, glue or staple it onto a piece of foam board about l/2" thick (foam board is used in insulating for houses etc.) Lowes or Home Depot carries it. If you don't want to use the foam board, just pinor attach the flannel to a wall or the back of a door or something solid and stiff. Flannel works best because other fabric will stick to it and not fall off, and you can just move the pattern pieces around until you find the exact design you want, and take a little off at a time, to sew. You might want to take a photo of the final design you decide on in case some of the pieces get moved accidently.Hope this answers your question.
    Thanks - that sounds like a fantastic idea! :)