Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Looking for advice and your opinion >
  • Looking for advice and your opinion

• Looking for advice and your opinion

Old 09-22-2010, 04:20 PM

As you ask for our opinion, I am prepared to give it honestly: I don't think any of those choices you give are in keeping with the quilt. You have a very precise, angular design which looks dynamic or dramatic against the black background and by placing the more wishy - washy border choices around it you are detracting from your quilt.It may well be a lot more work, but I think you should put a bright, thin border around the entire quilt and then an extra, wider, pieced border which is geometric in design, using the same or similar colours as in the quilt. Try a braided pattern using all of the colours, including black, or if you want a simpler border, alternating stripes of the fabric, perhaps interspersed with a row of flying geese every now and then. It is such a dramatic quilt that I think it would be a shame to "dumb it down" with a boring border. All the best with what you choose to do.
    Old 09-22-2010, 04:34 PM

I would try a black frame the a multicolored with sayings frame followed by black to achieve the right size on the top. on the back I would do a solid green or purple center your choice with side panels of the alternate so it would lay nicely on the bed and be easy to quilt with fewer seams to deal with on the back.
    Old 09-22-2010, 04:38 PM

I like the first border picture. The black and multi-color one.
    Old 09-22-2010, 05:32 PM
    Power Poster

I like the peace sign border.
    Old 09-22-2010, 06:03 PM

I can't thank everyone enough for all the great advice and your opinions. Wow...you folks are the best! It is so amazing to me that I can post a question about fabric choices and get such immediate, helpful responses. The peace sign fabric (in my opinion) really started to become the front runner but when I took the fabric choices to class with me last night,unanimously everyone chose the fabric with the sayings. My daughter came home today for a visit and also liked the multi-colored fabric with the sayings. I'm working out the backing design on some graph paper trying to figure out what I like the best. I'll keep plugging away and I'll keep everyone updated with pics. Thank you again for all of your help! What a great place the Quilting Board is!!! :) :) :)
    Old 09-22-2010, 06:20 PM

I agree with tweetee.
    Old 09-22-2010, 10:28 PM

I like the peace or black
    Old 09-23-2010, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by jitkaau
    As you ask for our opinion, I am prepared to give it honestly: I don't think any of those choices you give are in keeping with the quilt. You have a very precise, angular design which looks dynamic or dramatic against the black background and by placing the more wishy - washy border choices around it you are detracting from your quilt.It may well be a lot more work, but I think you should put a bright, thin border around the entire quilt and then an extra, wider, pieced border which is geometric in design, using the same or similar colours as in the quilt. Try a braided pattern using all of the colours, including black, or if you want a simpler border, alternating stripes of the fabric, perhaps interspersed with a row of flying geese every now and then. It is such a dramatic quilt that I think it would be a shame to "dumb it down" with a boring border. All the best with what you choose to do.
    Jitkaau.....Thank you for your honest opinion....I was asking for exactly that....honesty. The pattern itself does not call for a border at all, but I'd had enough of all those pieced triangles and all the work involved keeping the colored bands in order. Your idea of adding a border with a geometric design had crossed my mind. I have hundreds (and I mean hundreds) of the colored & black bands left over as well as the pieced triangle inserts. I had considered using a piano key border or some other method of using the pieces on a black border. What I'm trying to do is enlarge the quilt to fit a queen size bed without adding 2-3 more rows called for in the quilting pattern. My daughter has already seen the multi-colored saying fabric and doesn't care how I add it......she just wants it in her quilt somewhere :) This has definately been a live n learn quilt. What I've learned......I'll never repeat this pattern every again! LOL.
    Old 09-23-2010, 04:13 AM

I like the black as last border.... really pops your wheels inside.
    Old 09-23-2010, 06:15 AM

I like the small black border combined with the green peace fabric. Seems to marry well with your beautiful top and will work with the green you plan to use in the backing.