Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • The Making of  My Navy and White Quilt - Update on page 19 >
  • The Making of My Navy and White Quilt - Update on page 19

• The Making of My Navy and White Quilt - Update on page 19

Old 09-13-2009, 12:07 PM
    Power Poster

Wow Ninnie, you are still whipping through this quilt even with P-mona trying to drag you down!!! Looking great!!!
    Ok...I will sing to...we've only just begun....to live... yep, I hear the dogs howling, too!!!
    Old 09-13-2009, 12:24 PM

Well, you're amitious! I like that one on 239 but it looks waaaay too hard for me!

There are a few that I would like to attempt- the one right in front of yours in the book- it has red and white striped fabrics and it looks like the maker ran out so threw some different fabric in. It's a courthouse steps pattern. I like the look of the old quilts with some mismatched pieces in them.

I also love the crisscross on page 18, Whig's Defeat on 92 (also above my skill set at this point), the Wreath of Roses on 140, the pinwheels on 150, the two little ones on page 194, and page 150, page 214, the flowers on the pillow on 252...

It's definitely worth buying this book in my opinion!

ETA- it has 288 pages- hardcover, list price is $29.99, but I bet you could find it cheaper.
    Old 09-13-2009, 12:45 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lisa T
    Well, you're amitious! I like that one on 239 but it looks waaaay too hard for me!

There are a few that I would like to attempt- the one right in front of yours in the book- it has red and white striped fabrics and it looks like the maker ran out so threw some different fabric in. It's a courthouse steps pattern. I like the look of the old quilts with some mismatched pieces in them.

I also love the crisscross on page 18, Whig's Defeat on 92 (also above my skill set at this point), the Wreath of Roses on 140, the pinwheels on 150, the two little ones on page 194, and page 150, page 214, the flowers on the pillow on 252...

It's definitely worth buying this book in my opinion!

ETA- it has 288 pages- hardcover, list price is $29.99, but I bet you could find it cheaper.

:shock: :shock: I have been collecting red striped material for that one!! I have been looking for some shirtwaist material to go with it also. I love the way it looks it was just made with left overs!
    The one on page 18 is a simple pattern, and has lots of room for pretty handquilting.
    Not crazy about 72, though.
    Checkers and rails is pretty on page 81, But if I was a great accomplished quilter, princess feathers on page 174 to 180 would be the one to do. i love that it is reversable and that it was quilted from the back!!

Old 09-13-2009, 07:41 PM
    Power Poster

Beautiful fabrics. I can't wait to see more updates. Blue and white is so classic. I can tell already it's going to be wonderful.
    Old 09-13-2009, 08:11 PM

Thank you so much for sharing your progress with us all! For me the process is as enjoyable as the finished product, so quilts in progress threads are always my very favorite! I learn so much from them as well as get inspiration!
    Old 09-14-2009, 06:31 AM
    Power Poster

More update here.
    We have now added 80 6 patches to our stack of growing patches. these also were strip pieced first, with the following .
    2 , 2 1/2 in wide white strips, 42in long, and 1 1/2 in.wide navy strip, 42 in. long making up the first strip.

2 2 1/2 in wide navy strips 42 in long, and 1 1/2 in wide white strip, 42in long making up the second strip.
    In these 6 patches, I used 3 strips of each. Then cutting all of the strips into 1 1/2 in segments. Sorry , but I forgot to take a picture of the segments before sewing them :oops: :oops: :D

I also stringed pieced these, without having to cut my thread!! :D :D It was close, bobbin was almost empty at the end!

[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_uAI_9RibNE...0/IMG_0421.JPG[/img]

Here are the 80 6 patches sewn and thumb pressed
    [img]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_uAI_9RibNE...0/IMG_0422.JPG[/img]

And here are all of our patches together.
    110 9 patches, 60 4 patches, and 80 6 patches
    also the strips that still need to be cut and the navy pieces.
    [img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_uAI_9RibNE...0/IMG_0424.JPG[/img]

Old 09-14-2009, 06:43 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Great progress Ninnie! I love chain piecing - you could make Christmas decorations with them! :D
    Old 09-14-2009, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
    Great progress Ninnie! I love chain piecing - you could make Christmas decorations with them! :D
    Nope, K, she won't be making Christmas decorations. This quilt is going to be for me! :twisted: Huh, Ninnie?

You've gotten so much done! Are you taking time to do silly things like eating, breathing, etc.?
    Old 09-14-2009, 06:51 AM
    Power Poster

Way to go Ninnie!, You are moving ahead so much faster than I am! :oops:
    Old 09-14-2009, 07:06 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by k3n
    Chain piecing is the greatest, and something I learned from this board. :D :D
    Humm red and green, garland for Christmas tree? that can be done! :lol: :lol: