Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Mexican Star >
  • Mexican Star

• Mexican Star

Old 07-19-2024, 03:59 AM

I liked the green as it brought out the greens of the piecing but then I saw the grey and here again, it brought out the diagonal strips. I wasn't so keen on the darker piece. Beautiful quilt! Love the colors you used.
    Old 07-19-2024, 08:00 AM

I prefer no border as I don't think either of these 2 fabrics ADD anything to the quilt.
    Old 07-19-2024, 08:17 AM

That is beautiful. I'm sure you will get some good ideas from Board members.
    Old 07-19-2024, 10:13 AM
    Power Poster

I like the green... or the gray. No reason to take the first gray border off. I'd just add the extra gray on it.

You always make such beautiful quilts!
    Old 07-19-2024, 11:36 AM

I'm in the grey/green flange/grey camp - great looking top no matter how you finish it though.
    Old 07-19-2024, 05:50 PM

I like the gray small stopper border you have on the quilt, then I would use green and then gray for the binding. The darker fabric makes the center of the quilt look faded. FYI...I have been told I have no color sense from more than 1 person. lol
    Old 07-19-2024, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by calliope
    I prefer no border as I don't think either of these 2 fabrics ADD anything to the quilt.
    Yes, it does, add to the quilt...adds to the SIZE-lol

Thank you all for your opinion.I knew from the asking, I would get a mix of opinions, but I decided on the gray.

Bearsingray, you and I were thinking alike, whether that's good or bad, you tell me-lol
    QuiltMom2- I used to sew something everyday, whether it was a zip bag,coaster, purse. Since getting into quilt piecing and quilting, I still sew, but not every day. When I do piece,, I can stay at it all day long. I like finished projects. However, I am still in therapy for my wrist and wonder at times if I'll ever be able to move a quilt around to free motion quilt again. I have 3 ready to quilt when I am up to the challenge, this one, Nora's on point and a Play Ball for my great grandson. I would like to ruler quilt the Mexican Star but that will be harder for me, I know. Nora wants her throw to remain soft, not stiff with quilting stitches so it may be in the ditch quilting. Rylan's will most likely be stippling if I can manage any of these.
    I repeat, thank you all for your advice. You are most kind.
    BTW, I kept the first border on, as I had sewn my seam with a serger ! You know how much I like a neat back!
    Attached Thumbnails img_5243.jpg   img_5260.jpg  
    Old 07-20-2024, 02:45 AM

Perhaps a wider gray border and then use the green for binding?
    Old 07-20-2024, 10:01 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by toogie
    ...........However, I am still in therapy for my wrist and wonder at times if I'll ever be able to move a quilt around to free motion quilt again.........
    Toogie ... Must have been some mental telepathy going on, as I had been wondering how your wrist was doing. So thanks for the mini update!! Totally understand your frustrations/fears about wrist and FMQ. Be sure to tell the physio what you can't do and how important it is to you to be able to do that. Sometimes they just don't understand when it is not something that everyone does. Better still, take a quilt in, to give him/her a better visual of what you need to achieve. With that, s/he will have a better idea as to what exercises can help make the difference for your recovery. Good Luck!!