Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Mexican Star >
  • Mexican Star

• Mexican Star

Old 07-18-2024, 08:00 AM

Default Mexican Star

Hello! I am having trouble deciding on a final border and I’m sure I will get different opinions, but I’m asking anyway. Do you like the lighter green or the darker navy? I usually put a darker border but…. What I really wish is I would have made a wider gray border. Oh well.
    Anyway, this is the Mexican Star made from a video by Eleanor Burns, Quilt in a Day. I used one 20 pc jelly roll but added the navy print cut strips for 3 blocks. I also used leftover navy in the center and green yardage for most of the 4 squares. Gray strips I cut and background, white with navy dots, is yardage. It measures 72x89 as is.
    Attached Thumbnails img_5231.jpeg   img_5236.jpeg   img_5235.jpeg  
    Old 07-18-2024, 08:05 AM

I think I would go with the darker navy. But you know what they say, whatever color border you choose, the quilt becomes that color quilt. The border seems to make the color pop. I really like the grey also. Good pattern.
    Old 07-18-2024, 08:12 AM

Beautiful! I can't decide on the navy or green border, but I'm leaning towards the navy. Nice work!
    Old 07-18-2024, 08:13 AM
    Power Poster

Both are nice but in my opinion........LOL
    I would not add a sold border unless using the gray for a wider one. The other two borders look to me like the quilt top would be just laying on top of another fabric. The quilt is beautiful.
    Old 07-18-2024, 08:22 AM

I decided to try the gray and I think I really like it, do you? Could I just add to the strip I already have on or do I need to take it off and add a whole new wider strip for border, if I decide on gray?
    Attached Thumbnails img_5237.jpeg  
    Old 07-18-2024, 08:30 AM
    Power Poster

Onebyone's comment that the border make the whole quilt that color - never thought about it, but in this case, it's so.

I definitely did not like the border. It seemed harsh with the rest of the quilt. I did like the green one a lot better and that made all the greens stand out in the top.

But I do like the gray one best.

As far as whether to take the narrower border off first and then add the wider one - I think the seam line - although very subtle, sort of defines the center of the quilt.
    Old 07-18-2024, 08:48 AM

Gray looks great! The Navy and Green are not bad but the gray is more neutral and can be used anywhere.

What kind of quilting are you planning on doing on the gray? If it is a pattern that will look better on a continuous band of fabric, then you may want to replace the first border with a bigger border. If the extra seam line in the border won't make a difference in the quilting pattern, then you don't necessarily have to replace the first border.

Good job on the quilt!
    Old 07-18-2024, 09:43 AM

Between navy and green, I liked the navy because to my eye it made the centre pop whereas the green seemed to blend with the stars. However, the grey is great. And, leave on the narrow border.
    Old 07-18-2024, 10:22 AM

I like the grey too. And I would leave the narrow piece on. After quilting and washing you probably would never notice it
    Old 07-18-2024, 10:24 AM
    Power Poster

The gray looks like the quilt is floating not laying. So pretty. The binding can be any color in the blocks or gray. Lately I have been using the border fabric as my binding too.