Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Mini whole cloth - things I learned! >
  • Mini whole cloth - things I learned!

• Mini whole cloth - things I learned!

Old 05-12-2018, 05:00 AM

Wel, it’s very nice, and a whole lot of us wouldn’t even attempt it!
    Old 05-12-2018, 07:56 AM

Great learning experience and I appreciate your "lessons learned" bullet points! Looking forward to seeing your next project...so helpful for those of us who want to know the "real skinny" on these things.
    Old 05-13-2018, 04:20 AM

Your front looks awesome, I love the pattern. I have never tried a whole cloth, but have a question for you or the other ladies. Would the thread count of the fabric have any bearing on the way the backing turns out? In other words is it better to use a tightly woven fabric vs a loosely woven fabric? I hope that makes sense. I'll look forward to seeing your next project.
    Old 05-13-2018, 04:35 AM

Great question sewingsenior - this is a heavy black cotton ... I specifically chose a heavier cotton because of the quilting design. It might have an effect!

I'm going to quilt a block without the batting, and see what happens ... just not right now LOL
    Old 05-14-2018, 04:41 AM

Aren't "whole clothe" tops all done in the same color as the top...usually White/Cream fabrics with matching threads?
    If the backing can be diff then top using a busy black/white would hide the knots made auto by machine.
    In your emb designs using single stitches on quilting block designs works best...to get more of a pop then look for double stitches
    Old 05-14-2018, 07:55 AM

Hobbykat1955 - they aren't always the same colour, I've seen lots that had two different colours. I mainly wanted colours that would pop out so I could see what I was really doing.
    Old 05-14-2018, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts
    Ellen 1 ... thanks for the explanation. It's not bearding ... while you are seeing some batting all over the place, it's because that's where the batting is LOL ... tiny pieces of it all over the place. I will take a better picture later today so people can see what I mean about how dense and tight the design is.

The more I look at whole cloth quilts, the more I see simpler designs without the stitches going over each other repeatedly. I am 99% sure that is what happened here.

I'm working on another whole cloth quilt. I'm using stencils for that one ... pics and a new thread to come later

Thanks for all the comments!
    While I do not have an embroidery machine, (my opinion here) embroidery is too dense for sewing through all the layers of a quilt sandwich. That is why you got all the “stuff” showing and the puckering, etc. I think you gave it a great try though!! And all our “personal learning lessons” are so good for us because we “remember” them! :-).

I did see your design for your next whole cloth and really liked it. Hope to see the finished product. Ellen

Last edited by Ellen 1; 05-14-2018 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Correcting iPad correction errors...grrrrrrr
    Old 05-14-2018, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
    Aren't "whole clothe" tops all done in the same color as the top...usually White/Cream fabrics with matching threads?
    If the backing can be diff then top using a busy black/white would hide the knots made auto by machine.
    In your emb designs using single stitches on quilting block designs works best...to get more of a pop then look for double stitches
    Hello hobbyist, It does not matter what color the fabric or the thread is for a wholecloth quilt. What makes it a wholecloth is that it is one piece of fabric. Not pieced, not appliquéd, etc. etc.

As for using a busy black/white to hide knots......you could use anything you want on the back, but it would not be complementary to the front of a wholecloth. I prefer to have my back the same fabric that I am using on the front, mostly (Kona Snow). If I am using a Dupioni Silk, then I will use a (closely matching color) solid cotton for the back. Ellen