Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • the mistakes I've made >
  • the mistakes I've made

• the mistakes I've made

Old 10-13-2011, 06:18 PM

The pin is too funny! Not sure how you got it SO well secured on there ;) And thank you for the laughs in your post, and the replies. I am new to quilting so I have been wondering if I am the only one running into these things =)
    Old 10-13-2011, 06:29 PM

I have heard that all quilters make mistakes and some do it purposely. They say it's their signature. That would be my story...lol
    Old 10-13-2011, 06:33 PM

Here's one of mine. Not quilted yet so still could be fixed. Would you take it apart and redo the 1 wrong block?
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-270868.jpe  
    Old 10-13-2011, 06:34 PM

Join the club. Last Christmas, worked my butt off to make a "perfect" tablerunner. HA!!!! I didn't notice the selvage edge showing (just a smidge) on the runner until after the quilting was fginished. I let it go - had to. DH helpfully said he had noticed as I was sewing it all together but thought I had wanted it that way. It's ok that it was gifted as is and my girlfriend was absolutley floored that I had made it for her and she loved it. Her hubbyoved it, too.
    Old 10-13-2011, 06:39 PM

That's hilarious! Thanks for the laugh!
    Old 10-13-2011, 07:05 PM

Only God is perfect!
    Old 10-13-2011, 07:08 PM

Well, I recently made a table runner. I worked on it all day. That evening, I was thinking "I'll just trim it up and finish tomorrow. Woke up tomorrow, to see I had trimmed it very crooked, and no way to fix it. Attempt two- I started over, and thought I will 'just wing it' and make a braided one table runner. Never try to make a braided quilt without instructions or a pattern. (If you look in the dictionary, you will see it pictured under the word "wonky") Attempt three-I started over again and had to get it in the mail since it was already two days late for mailing. I finally got it finished, got the binding on, and it will be going in the mail tomorrow a.m. I no longer have any blue scraps, but it is DONE. I have never had to do more than frog a seam before this one. I feel so silly for having all this trouble with it. I usually wash my quilts before I deliver them, but not this time. I just couldn't take it if something happened to this one. :cry: :oops:
    Old 10-13-2011, 09:41 PM

Welcome to this great board. No picture of my creative quilting, just a sad tale. Was making a complicated board for my first and only quilt using two colors of matching fabric with angled pieces. Realized when I had done the length and half of one width that all the angles were wrong and backwards. Couldn't use any of them on the quilt! Saved it for some other creative quilting project. LOL, didn't laugh then more like cursed and cried.
    Old 10-13-2011, 11:10 PM

A painter on a 1960-1970 public tv show always said 'ther are no mistakes, just happy coincidences.' In scores of years of pattern making , sewing from patterns and changind them I have learned mistakes if you don't think they are terrible, make your work unique! No one else will have finished a quilt just like you. I almost always include salvage edges when I use regular fabric instead of sheets. That do not use for childrens bed clothes is one less warning I have to put on a label. Feedsacks are now back in style and the printed labes on them is quite desirable. Have faith that you do good work and you need make no disclaimers of mistakes.
    Old 10-14-2011, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting
    Post a pic of your quilt so we can ooh and ah at it!

I've made plenty of mistakes and here is two to prove it. See how easy they are to find. The date on this quilt is 2008 and it is still waiting to be quilted. I have about twentyfive waiting!
    Been there done that and quilted it wrong. So we reverse a block or two big deal. It's still a lovely quilt. Man you must really dislike quilting machine quilting or are you waiting to buy a longarm?