Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • My attic windows >
  • My attic windows

• My attic windows

Old 06-13-2009, 08:39 PM

Thanks, All. This was my first attempt at the Attic Windows. When I went to the quilt shop with this need: my granddaughter's favorite flower is the daisy and her favorite color is green, the owner said, I know just what you need. She pulled out the daisy fabric and the green solid. Then we began looking for something for a light. That's when I found the very light gold. (It looks like white in the picture) I didn't use the y-seam method. I chose to do the "cheat" method :lol: using the HST block in the corner. It went together very fast. The brown for the sashing is the same brown -- with a little gold-- like the daisy centers.
    Old 06-14-2009, 05:54 AM

that is so pretty! I like the pattern. I have made three....Hand pieced and then took to LRQ to quilt!
    Old 06-14-2009, 06:41 AM

Hey Gail G. I found it and your top is lovely. I think if I were you I would stich in the ditch around the window pieces and in the middle of the flower block I would cut a template of a flower design (very simple) cirle against circle with one in the middle and quilt around that or just quilt a simple X through the flowers would be ok or go around the inside about 1/4 around to made a square then put another square inside that one or a diamond inside of a qiamond. Anything like that will work well. By the way your picture came out very good. You will get to be a pro on the computer before you know it. As I am sure you tell your students, all you have to do is follow instructions. Again. This is so pretty!!!!!!!!!!! You did good.
    Old 06-14-2009, 09:34 AM
    Power Poster

wow, pretty, Gail :D
    Old 06-14-2009, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
    I asked about the flower area- can you just leave it?
    I had thought about just leaving it unqilted, but it's 9 x 9. That would be a pretty large area. I use the traditional low loft batting. I'd have to check, but shouldn't it be quilted at least every 4 or 5 inches?
    Old 06-14-2009, 03:54 PM

Ooh, loving that one!
    Old 06-14-2009, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Loretta
    See what it says on the batting package. I think they list the inches you can use. Otherwise I might just stitch an X in each flower block.
    The package says 2" to 4".
    Old 06-14-2009, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
    What about arcs on the flowers for a change, they would be fairly easy to mark & follow, perhaps an inch apart - or 1.5 inches apart?
    I am exactly half way through an attic window quilt. Been working off and on for a little over a year. My blocks have flowers and flower baskets. I am stippleing the baskets and some of the flowers. After I finish I will stitch in the ditch the sashes. I don't know what kind of batting you are using. I used the fluffy poly because I like the soft puffy look you get when it is stipple but only like outlineing the baskets and flowers. I will post when I finish.
    I think Lacelady has the best idea for all the small flowers. An arc and then stitch in the ditch would look beautiful. Just remember the closer the stitches are to each other the stiffer your quilt is. If you want it soft look,like the poly it has to be a little futher apart.
    BillsBonBon
    Old 06-14-2009, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bill'sBonBon
    Originally Posted by Lacelady
    What about arcs on the flowers for a change, they would be fairly easy to mark & follow, perhaps an inch apart - or 1.5 inches apart?
    I am exactly half way through an attic window quilt. Been working off and on for a little over a year. My blocks have flowers and flower baskets. I am stippleing the baskets and some of the flowers. After I finish I will stitch in the ditch the sashes. I don't know what kind of batting you are using. I used the fluffy poly because I like the soft puffy look you get when it is stipple but only like outlineing the baskets and flowers. I will post when I finish.
    I think Lacelady has the best idea for all the small flowers. An arc and then stitch in the ditch would look beautiful. Just remember the closer the stitches are to each other the stiffer your quilt is. If you want it soft look,like the poly it has to be a little futher apart.
    BillsBonBon
    I use the low loft traditional batting. It says to quilt every 2" to 4". Ooh, can't wait to see YOUR WINDOWS.
    Old 06-14-2009, 05:01 PM

My Blocks are 6"by6" with 2"sashes. Altogether there are 154 Blocks. You see why it has taken so long. I would have to put it aside to make other quilts. This one is for myself. I will be so glad to get it finished. It is 11 blocks across and 14 long. WHEEEE!!! Doing it on a regular machine too. :D
    BillsBonBon