Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • My big brown ugly quilt >
  • My big brown ugly quilt

• My big brown ugly quilt

Old 10-17-2010, 11:29 AM

It's a beautiful quilt!!!
    Old 10-17-2010, 03:41 PM

I thinks it's awesome. I know my family would love it.
    Old 10-17-2010, 04:16 PM

this is better than any log cabin quilt I have ever seen
    Old 10-18-2010, 09:52 AM

Okay, here we go...
    First thing I had to do was learn how to make a string quilt. I think I read just about every inch of this site before I got started.

http://quiltville.com/stringquilting....shtmlstarted.

I used Kabnet wax paper that I bought on ebay and it works really well but I wouldn't use it again because I didn't like having to tear it all off. Next time I will just use cheap muslin and leave it in the quilt.

I cut a bizillion 10" squares of the paper out and then cut them diagonally to give me the triangles. I should have cut them at 10.5" for the seam allowance. I later realized I didn't need to cut them in half. But oh well, learn as you go! I sewed strips to each half, starting in the middle point for the first one and on the wide end for the second one.

Then starting with 4 of these, I pointed them all towards the center to make a square.

Then each row follows the direction of the original square in the middle. Make sense?
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-106318.bmp   attachment-106319.jpe  
    Old 10-18-2010, 10:01 AM

You can also play with turning these in different directions if you don't want that center to appear like the top of all the squares. I hope this explains it enough for all of you. I'm not too good at explaining these things. I tend to just take off and start without thinking it all the way thru. I'm thinking of making one of these in black and white with a bright colored center but that's going to be a ways down the road.

Thank you everyone for all the great comments on this one. I still have a hard time liking this one. I guess it's just the over whelming brown that gets me. I really like what PinkyPig did with hers. She did a much better job and it looks so much neater than mine!
    Old 10-18-2010, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by billswife99
    Okay, here we go...
    First thing I had to do was learn how to make a string quilt. I think I read just about every inch of this site before I got started.

http://quiltville.com/stringquilting....shtmlstarted.

I used Kabnet wax paper that I bought on ebay and it works really well but I wouldn't use it again because I didn't like having to tear it all off. Next time I will just use cheap muslin and leave it in the quilt.

I cut a bizillion 10" squares of the paper out and then cut them diagonally to give me the triangles. I should have cut them at 10.5" for the seam allowance. I later realized I didn't need to cut them in half. But oh well, learn as you go! I sewed strips to each half, starting in the middle point for the first one and on the wide end for the second one.

Then starting with 4 of these, I pointed them all towards the center to make a square.

Then each row follows the direction of the original square in the middle. Make sense?
    thanks Jenell, this is the same site I got instructions from too, and I followed your directions, with only a few differences. I choose 2 contrasting fabrics for the outside border of the triangles and made all the centers the same (black print). a little more work but it was the look I wanted for this top. I agree with the paper, I used tracing paper and would not use again go with the muslin. Also, I used only 6 different fabrics, not including the black centers and frame of triangles to achieve the look I wanted.
    Old 10-18-2010, 07:11 PM

Thank you!!! Your quilt is SO beautiful. Sewing string quilts is like therapy to me. I've made several small ones, but never tried a big one. Yours is so pretty, I just may have to take the plunge! THank you for taking your time to share with all of us!
    Old 10-18-2010, 07:17 PM

I think its pretty!
    Old 11-18-2010, 06:08 PM

Jenell, I still love your brown quilt. I'm making a Christmas one in a similar pattern... the scrappy strips are all Christmas fabric scraps. So far I'm happy with it. I made one in all blues to get rid of some of my blue stash but it doesn't seem to have gone down at all... if anything, I have more blues!
    Old 11-18-2010, 06:46 PM

That's a really nice quilt and I don't like brown either, but it really is pretty and you did a great job.

And don't you just love having it done finally!