Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • My First Lone Star >
  • My First Lone Star

• My First Lone Star

Old 08-29-2010, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by bonniebusybee
    A year in the making from shopping to binding, (with time out for Christmas, some landscaping, a family reunion at my home, etc.), this has been both a painful and a delightful experience. I bartered with a landscape designer for a plan, which would have cost me about $750, which ultimately I didn't like (and the landscape contractor wanted $65,000 ..... thanks but no thanks.) But by that time I was into locating the fabrics, (which I had to do twice because she delayed after I got the original swatches, and you know how quickly fabrics disappear from the shelves!) and my word is my word.

This is the quilt which taught me not to use Warm 'n' Natural for handquilting. (Thanks for all your tips last month.) The center was fussy-cut to create the spiral design. I'd added the narrow border strips when I realized they would diminish the width of the floral border, which the owner had wanted wider, so I changed it so the points of the star intersected the narrow border strips. That was a harder job than I had expected! But ultimately she got her wide border, and I had the satisfaction of giving her what she wanted (even though she didn't show me the same courtesy!)

The quilt was all hand-quilted except for the floral border, which my niece did on her long-arm. (We were short on the floral border fabric, hence the plain border at the top, but it goes under the pillows and won't show.)

Great experience! I'll deliver it today. Hope she likes it!
    Beautiful quilt and great job, perhaps on the plain section, you could check with the recepient and see if she would like the name of the quilt and all pertient info for a quilt label place there. Just a suggestion.
    Old 08-29-2010, 06:13 PM

It Is beautiful
    Old 08-29-2010, 06:46 PM
    Power Poster

Very, very nice.
    Old 08-29-2010, 06:53 PM

Gorgeous quilt!
    Old 08-29-2010, 07:36 PM

Exquisit!!!! The final product was well worth the time and effort. Beautiful
    Old 08-29-2010, 10:13 PM

very nice :thumbup:
    Old 08-29-2010, 10:34 PM

Gorgeous!
    Old 08-29-2010, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by QuickStitch
    Beautiful job and beautiful quilt. Did you just use the lone star pattern and spiral cut the center, or did you have a specific pattern for that too. Sorry, I'm just a new quilter. Thanks
    Hi, QuickStitch. Don't apologize for your inexperience; we all had to start somewhere. The spiral was achieved by "fussy-cutting". You just pick a particular part of the pattern of the fabric that will give you the effect you want, and then individually place your template on that exact same part eight times for the Lone Star center. I tried several different spots before I found the one I liked best. It helps to use a "negative template" (a block cut OUT of a larger piece of template material), to view the fabric, and then place that in various spots until you find the one you want to repeat. It would have been beautiful if I could have fussy-cut the large ring of blocks that used the border print, but it was a Waverly fabric at $30/yard, and there's a lot of waste when you start fussy-cutting. Good luck!
    Old 08-30-2010, 04:56 AM

Thank you so much for helping me to understand. It sounds easy enough, but I'm sure I will need to practice, practice, practice. You all are such a great help. Again, I just love your quilt, and I hope the lady appreciates all the work you have put into it. Blessings, Janet
    Old 08-30-2010, 05:35 AM

gorgeous! :thumbup: