Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • My First Quilt Top >
  • My First Quilt Top

• My First Quilt Top

Old 04-03-2010, 02:49 PM
    Power Poster

IMHO you bought the absolutely best book to learn how to quilt from. The sampler from that book was my first quilt too! But I did not piece by hand. I did hand quilt it though.
    Old 04-03-2010, 03:17 PM

It is really pretty, and I think it is great that you tried the handstitching first. I tried it when my mom was "trying " to teach me how to quilt ( she felt that was something I just had to know). Well, I congratulate you in your success, I failed big time. It's me and the machine now if I piece anything.
    Old 04-03-2010, 03:57 PM

Did you name it beginners luck? That wasn't luck, that shows a lot of talent!!!I am impressed!!! :thumbup:

Ditter
    Old 04-04-2010, 11:38 AM
    Google Goddess

Wow, Awesome quilt, Great Job!!!
    Old 04-04-2010, 02:16 PM
    Power Poster

That is a very pretty sampler quilt. It's a great way to get familiar with lots of blocks. You did an absolutely wonderful job on it. Thanks for sharing with us.
    Old 04-05-2010, 08:51 AM

Very nice. :thumbup:
    Old 04-05-2010, 01:00 PM

I noticed "miss sp" your use of striped and plaid fabric. It takes a lot of confidence to do that. I have only just learned that you can use it and it look good. I don't have any granbabys but I am old enough for them. To me every Qt I do is a learning experiance. I admire your quilt. I only just learn that machine & hand applique are a lot of fun. Streight hand sewing my stitches are to big-long. Great Qt, looking forward to seeing you next Qt. Theresse
    Old 04-05-2010, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by theresse
    I noticed "miss sp" your use of striped and plaid fabric. It takes a lot of confidence to do that. I have only just learned that you can use it and it look good. I don't have any granbabys but I am old enough for them. To me every Qt I do is a learning experiance. I admire your quilt. I only just learn that machine & hand applique are a lot of fun. Streight hand sewing my stitches are to big-long. Great Qt, looking forward to seeing you next Qt. Theresse
    ok not its time for me to sound stupid lol - what does "miss sp" mean??? ~ Lee
    Old 04-05-2010, 01:44 PM

there are reasons other than it being my 'first' why I named this quilt top "Beginners Luck". The book I used called for a specific amount of several different coordinating fabrics and I scrapped the whole quilt! I had several differant blues I used for backgrounds and I alternated these in a cycle as I went through the book in order- well the final layout of the top according to the instructions was not in the order that they were pieced!
    Also I had no clue about printed fabric, plaids, solid, hots,colds, any of the fabric rules and color rules- i was dumb and still am -although I'm for enough along to pay attention to these things even though I still dont "get" alot of it. This whole quilt top was a complete guess- I just picked the scrap fabric I wanted to use for each template and connected them LOL ~ Lee
    Old 04-05-2010, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by sirstitchalot
    I had absolutely NO CLUE what I was doing LOL- I started the block field in Jan of 2003- it took me at least 2 or 3 yrs I dont remember after I learned to use my sewing machine the outer border were less overbearing but i still had to hand mitre.
    Oh, but it is wonderful! I have been quilting less than a year and I love it! I am getting better with each project. I just hope I get as good as Y'all!