Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • My first quilted dragon >
  • My first quilted dragon

• My first quilted dragon

Old 05-18-2010, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy
    I'm making my nephew a graduation quilt, and he's really into dragons, so I decided to use dragons as a quilting motif. So what do you think?
    I love everything about it.
    Old 05-18-2010, 07:35 AM

Your dragon is marvelous. I am just green :mrgreen: with envy and wish I had the skills to do all of that free motion machine quilting!
    Old 05-18-2010, 10:48 AM

Joan, you do have the skill, it just hasn't come out yet. It just takes practice, practice, and more practice. I have gotten so much better, since, I found the website: daystyledesigns.com, this lady is just great, and her different quilt fillers are so much fun. Don't start with a full quilt, do the practice squares she suggests(I did 9x9), and don't get discouraged, after all, you didn't learn cursive overnight, you just practiced, same with free-motion. I'm having a ball with it.
    Old 05-18-2010, 07:04 PM

Joan, you do have the skill, it just hasn't come out yet. It just takes practice, practice, and more practice. I have gotten so much better, since, I found the website: daystyledesigns.com, this lady is just great, and her different quilt fillers are so much fun. Don't start with a full quilt, do the practice squares she suggests(I did 9x9), and don't get discouraged, after all, you didn't learn cursive overnight, you just practiced, same with free-motion. I'm having a ball with it.
    Your encouragement is much appreciated, Kwiltkrazy. I looked at the website and it did seemed exceptional and filled with lots of ideas. It has been bookmarked! I took a class in FMQ (with a great teacher, I might add) and had mostly birdnests of thread on the bottom of my practice quilt squares, thread that kept breaking and a stiff neck at the end of the day. I found out the hard way that one needs to use "good" thread not Coats & Clark for FMQ (sorry to everyone out there that uses it). I also learned that my Janome has a narrow throat and that I will probably have to upgrade to a "bigger" machine before quilting anything of any size bigger than a crib quilt. But, you are absolutely correct that it just takes lots of practice. Regardless, I still have admiration for anyone who can quilt with such skill. (and yes, I'll get there eventually)
    Old 05-18-2010, 07:14 PM
    Joe

I'm amazed that you can do that on a machine!! Nice job! I thought it was hand quilted! Amazing!!
    Old 05-19-2010, 09:13 AM

Joan, you need to pull your bobbin thread up before you start quilting, hopefully, that will stop your birds nests. What Janome do you have? They're a good machine, I know ladies that quilt quite easily on the gem. I know the throat size being small is a real hassle, but I found that if you puddle instead of roll it is a lot easier. And also, don't sit for so long at a time. You need to get up and move around.
    Old 05-19-2010, 07:16 PM

Joan, you need to pull your bobbin thread up before you start quilting, hopefully, that will stop your birds nests. What Janome do you have? They're a good machine, I know ladies that quilt quite easily on the gem. I know the throat size being small is a real hassle, but I found that if you puddle instead of roll it is a lot easier. And also, don't sit for so long at a time. You need to get up and move around.

I have a Jem Gold. I bought it new on E Bay with the "Quilting Pkg."---extension table, walking foot, plate to cover feed dogs. I really like this machine and have had no complaints! I'm quilting in the ditich a wall hanging right now. (small 36" x 39") and can really see that the throat size is very important. I just know myself and that eventually I'll want to be able to free motion quilt!!!!
    Old 05-19-2010, 11:53 PM

Yeah, you really want to learn, it really dresses up your quilts, plus, it really is a blast.
    Old 05-22-2010, 09:36 PM

Hi there KK, how is that masterpiece comming along? I have added more to mine let me know what you think...
    Happy quilting. My fellow dragon slayer, or would that be dragon master?
    Old 05-25-2010, 05:59 PM

OK here.s some of what I've got done.

Dragon
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]73578[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-73573.jpe   attachment-73574.jpe   attachment-73575.jpe