Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • My new  301 >
  • My new 301

• My new 301

Old 10-16-2010, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by karenm36
    I have that very machine...it used to be my Grandmother's. I haven't used it because I wanted a machine that had a few more stitches to offer. So tell me...since I don't collect machines...why do folks collect the older machines that don't offer more variety in stitches, etc. Do they sew better? I'd like to know so I'll either get mine serviced and up and running again or find another home for her. Thanks!
    I think it definitely varies for each person. I have an old treadle (1906 White) I bought at an auction and thought it was neat and would be great to learn how to use. The other machine I have is a 201 Featherweight that was my great grandmothers. It even has her sewing certificate from 1935 in the case! That has more sentimental value than anything else. I know alot of people look for mint condition decals, but for me, with the FW I actually like the worn spots b/c I know it was my ggmas hands and hard work that put them there. It's just neat to sit at an old machine and imagine the history - who used it, what they made, etc. I actually have quite a few accessories with each machine, some that can do more than my newer one. Not necessarily fancy stitches, but useful things like hems, ruffles, buttonholes, etc.
    Old 10-16-2010, 11:01 PM
    Power Poster

Ooooo Lucky You! She's a beauty :D:D:D
    Old 10-17-2010, 01:07 AM

Nice! Have fun sewing with her.
    Old 10-17-2010, 05:30 AM

I bought the machine for a couple of reasons, first was I wanted to have a back-up machine, also I heard they are good to FMQ ( just finished my first FMQ and really loved it) and it reminds me of my grandmother and great aunt that taught me sewing when I was a kid, also it was a great price. I'm still going to look for another small machine to keep in the camper.
    Old 10-17-2010, 07:49 AM

I recently purchased one, but there was no manual that came with it. Can anyone tell me how to wind the bobbin with this machine? And what parts do I oil, what kind of oil do I use? Thanks for the help.
    Old 10-17-2010, 09:32 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by crawford1219
    I recently purchased one, but there was no manual that came with it. Can anyone tell me how to wind the bobbin with this machine? And what parts do I oil, what kind of oil do I use? Thanks for the help.
    There are places online where you can purchase a manual. If you Google, you may even find a website with bobbin-winding instructions and diagrams, and oiling instructions.

Always use sewing machine oil. Singer sm oil is widely available in stores.

Most old machines are very similar in their oiling requirements; just put 1 drop of oil in every place where moving parts rub against each other. I usually remove the top of the machine to look for oil holes, then manually move the wheel to see what other parts rub together. (Do not oil gears -- the bigger things with teeth -- they take lubricant instead of oil but rarely need to be topped up.) I open the left side of the arm and oil all the moving parts joins there. Then I turn the machine on its side, remove the bottom panel (if there is one), and oil all the moving parts there. I also take the shuttle race apart to clean, and place a tiny bit of oil on the shuttle race. I run the machine at high speed without a needle for 1 to 3 minutes to let everything soak in, then insert a needle and test-sew that day and the next to make sure no oil residue will get on the fabric.

If you don't have any idea of what I am talking about, purchase a manual to get all the diagrams and instructions.
    Old 10-17-2010, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by redvette54
    I bought the machine for a couple of reasons, first was I wanted to have a back-up machine, also I heard they are good to FMQ ( just finished my first FMQ and really loved it) and it reminds me of my grandmother and great aunt that taught me sewing when I was a kid, also it was a great price. I'm still going to look for another small machine to keep in the camper.
    Oh, that's exciting to hear that they are good for FMQ...didn't kow that. I haven't done FMQ but I want to learn. Guess that answers my question...I need to go dust her off and get her serviced. Then I'll be ready for FMQ! Thanks!
    Old 10-17-2010, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by crawford1219

http://www.sewusa.com/Threading_Diag..._threading.htm
    Old 10-17-2010, 10:52 AM
    Power Poster

Very nice!
    Old 10-17-2010, 12:20 PM

Love my 301. Great stitch and easy to take.