Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • My scrappy quilts >
  • My scrappy quilts

• My scrappy quilts

Old 01-24-2012, 05:06 PM

ok, so these are mostly scraps from others? i was wondering how, after making all of these, you found the time to make other 'designed' quilts. these are wonderful! i'm saving my scraps because my g'mother always made scrap quilts and i would feel like a waster if i threw them away. i have a pattern for a scrappy that i'm going to try next on my list. it looks like so much fun, but notice, i said a pattern. when i have more experience, i think i will be creating my own! i love what you've done! i wish you'd make more pasties (those cone shape nipple covers) since i'm a big animal advocate, but i agree people need them too! the cats and dogs may be getting some from me soon enough! lol btw, thanks for all the quilts and time and care you donate and give to these causes. it's so appreciated!
    Old 01-24-2012, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by nancia
    ok, so these are mostly scraps from others? i was wondering how, after making all of these, you found the time to make other 'designed' quilts.
    LOL, I don't really. I have all this yardage of fabric and I keep falling back to my scraps. I've actually only made 3 or 4 quilts with only 2-3 fabrics. And those were patritotic ones red, white and blue.
    Here are a few. I've also made some children's quilts with fussy cutting cute squares and just adding sashing and borders without scraps.
    Attached Thumbnails cimg1449.jpg   cimg0983.jpg   cimg1451.jpg   cimg0109.jpg  

Last edited by charity-crafter; 01-24-2012 at 05:48 PM.
    Old 01-24-2012, 05:51 PM

Default Back to scraps

I pile all my scraps into one section near my sewing machine, easy to get to and dig around. They are roughly sorted by size, 22" or wof strips go into the big basket, smaller pieces are placed in piles or baggies around easy to get to. Then I sew them together. If my stip is 4" then I sew all my ~4" together and then roll them up for use as borders. I do the same for all the sizes of strips.
    Attached Thumbnails cimg2252.jpg   cimg2048.jpg  
    Old 01-24-2012, 05:56 PM

Default Sorry I don't know how to add explainations between photos so I'm doing individually

These are examples of my strip sets, I'll get a whole pile of them sewn up and pressed with a lot of starch.
    Attached Thumbnails cimg2253.jpg   cimg2277.jpg   cimg2279.jpg   cimg2262.jpg   cimg2263.jpg  

Old 01-24-2012, 06:23 PM

Default Then I make these

I know that first picture above of my piles of scraps is pretty messy, it was driving me crazy. It's much better now. I sorted most everything and organized them better and sewed for hours over the summer. And I let it be known with my group that I only wanted absolutely fabulous fabric scraps.

I have to admit this first one is pretty wild, it was my first attempt at using sets and crumbs. It went to a very happy little boy.

The second one is a variation of Missouri quilt Co http://www.youtube.com/user/Missouri.../0/L5Ixvjje310 except that after I got it all done, someone asked me why I cut it apart and sewed it back together the way I did-why didn't I do a square within a square? I looked and realized I had forgotten to flip the squares before sewing them back together. Oh, well, design element.

The last few I'm still working on. A girl scout troop joined our group for a service project and decorated with fabric pens several hundred 6" squares that we are incorporating into quilts.
    Attached Thumbnails cimg2023.jpg   cimg2264.jpg   cimg2266.jpg   cimg2267.jpg   cimg2269.jpg  

Last edited by charity-crafter; 01-24-2012 at 06:35 PM.
    Old 01-24-2012, 06:38 PM

Default And my next projects

I'm making a bunch of hst and a couple spiderwebs, I have the foundation and kite pieces cut out.
    Attached Thumbnails cimg2280.jpg   cimg2260.jpg  
    Old 01-24-2012, 07:25 PM

I love scrappy's, and all of your quilts are gorgeous, thank you for sharing
    Old 01-24-2012, 07:37 PM

What an inspiration - I need to gather up my scraps and try that too - looks like fun...
    Old 01-24-2012, 07:58 PM

Just like a miniature quilt show. LOL. Thanks for sharing all the photos. They all look great.
    Old 01-24-2012, 08:02 PM

Love all of them! Wow lots of scraps.