Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • My sewing space >
  • My sewing space

• My sewing space

Old 07-30-2010, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Grinster
    Is this Penny from whom I bought my Singer FW? Sewing room looks familiar!
    Would be one and the same. I have purchased 4 more machines since you were last here. 3 under $20. each, one for $50. Giving the smallest, lightest one to BFF's freshman dau. who has been taking sewing lessons from me. She wants to take it to college.

Hope your sweet girl is being good for you!
    Old 07-30-2010, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by lalaland
    My hubby is retired and encouraging me to do the same, and with that we're thinking of relocating. He needs a woodworking shop and somewhere to put his tractors, I need a sewing room. I want my last house to be one I love and that meets all our needs. I wanna hit pay dirt like you!!
    It is worth the time and effort to find one in which you can grow older. Much easier to make the change before it becomes an emergency. We have barrier free entries, step in shower, wide hallways, and an attached garage. Also a sun porch for drinking coffee and reading the Sunday paper. Maintenance free exterior.
    Still grass to mow and snow to plow, but DH uses a rider and I do the gardens. Now I can bloom where I am planted!!
    Old 07-30-2010, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by pab58
    Do you have a spare bedroom for me!!?? :wink: I won't take up too much space!! :lol:

It would be so wonderful to have such a beautiful and spacious sewing room! You really must feel you "have died and gone to heaven!" :wink: Thanks for sharing your pics!
    Yes, we do have a guest room. And several machines so we can both stitch at once. Love having visitors. And I give tours of the LQS and fabric shops!
    Old 07-30-2010, 04:14 PM

I lived in MI for six years and had a full basement! Did I know or have any interest in quilting then. Nah. Now I could kick myself for wasting all that space. Also, when transferred back to Houiston, TX, we had a whole third floor that was livable. Did I use it for anything? nah. I didn't have any hobbies except gardening. There, you have to fight the mosquitoes and the heat so much that you can't be outside except in fall, winter, and early, early spring. I could kick myself again! Why didn't someone force me to sew then? At last, I am enjoying a hobby that is timeless and productive. I still love to garden as the Texas hill country is a wonderful place to do so as long as you have soil. We import most of ours for raised beds. We grow rocks here. The temp. drops at night so that many plants ( like fuschia) do pretty well here. Of course, like many parts of the country , deer are are a real problem but our Border Collies do a good job of keeping them away from our plants. Today, I made a tablecloth for our camping "gang". We all have small RV's. Ours is a 21' Airstream and our friends have the same and a Casita. OI found this great fabric with tiny Airstreams and other trailers on it. I made a tablecloth for our next camp out Boy, are they going to be surprised! quilting offers many opportunities to do other things that are similar, just without the batting. I did a border on the tablecloth to give it some substance. My husband cannot believe I am doing all this stuff, just form learning to quilt! I serged the edges of the tablecloth onto a 9" border folded in half so it has a finished edge. It turned out so cute! I invested in a Quilter's Calculator at Jo-Anne's awhile back.l Man, it saves me a lot of math! I had one of their fifty per cent coupons and at that time and had an extra ten per cent with the Quilter's Club of America discount there. That came in handy! I can't tell you how happy I am with that calculator as math is not my forte. I have to say though, that quilting has greatly increased my math skills even before the QC~ I never dreamed I would be able to do the math that I do! Sharpen the old brain stem! We will probably not get Alzheimers'
    s if we keep using our brain like we do! Do ya think?
    Old 07-30-2010, 05:27 PM

Hi Patticakes: Am heading up to Ludington in a couple weeks, have a friend b/t L. and Scottville. BFF and I are treating ourselves to a road trip, stopping at every resale shop, fabric shop and knitting store along the way. I'll think of you up there! At least in Chi town you are still close to the lake!
    Old 07-31-2010, 01:12 AM

I put my scraps into clear plastic sandwich bags by size. Any that are just oddments go into bags that are not sized so I know I need to look through it if I am wanting anything. My bags are also rated according to type of material ie floral, novelty,plaid etc.
    Makes it easy for me to find my scraps when looking for them.

These then lay flat in a large tote drawer.

Maybe1day
    Old 07-31-2010, 01:25 AM

Is that a room or the whole house? Actually, I just jealous. Considering all you have you have it well organized.

Good for you for donating so much. Thanks for sharing.
    Old 07-31-2010, 01:43 AM

WOW!!!!
    Old 07-31-2010, 03:58 AM

I am so happy for you that you were able to reward yourself w/ all your wishs. May you have many happy hours in your lil piece of sewing heaven.
    Old 07-31-2010, 04:35 AM

nice room and nice stuff.......