Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Need ideas/suggestions >
  • Need ideas/suggestions

• Need ideas/suggestions

Old 11-24-2012, 06:38 AM

If it were mine, I would put another black strip at the top of the three vertical panels, perhaps a little narrower than the one below it. The overall color seems a little dark, is it just the lighting? And the flowers and vase definitely need to be enhanced, they are beautifully done but seem a tad flat, and need to show up more against the background. Can you shade them with thread, or pigma pens or some other means? And one last thing...it seems to be just a little top heavy, perhaps shave a little off the blue top?
    If I can figure how to load a pic here, I'll show you what I mean :{
    Old 11-24-2012, 06:39 AM

Smile

How big is it? I would shadow quilt by hand around the vase and flowers (which are totally amazing, and then just lightly (hand) quilt the other 3 panels (blue, multi on the left and dark on the bottom) drawing all the attn to the flower and vase . .. but what ever you decide - ti will be a great piece ! Your Mom will be proud ! I would hang it in my house
    Old 11-24-2012, 06:42 AM

Oh yay, I think I did it....

I trimmed a little off the top and added the upper black strip.

I hope you don't think my opinion too mean, much less brutal...this is strictly my own opinion! It is YOUR quilt, and as such there is NO wrong way
    Attached Thumbnails 111.jpg  

Last edited by Baloonatic; 11-24-2012 at 06:49 AM.
    Old 11-24-2012, 06:59 AM
    Power Poster

Beautifully done. It sounds like you are on the right track for the quilting....Be sure to show us when you are finished
    Old 11-24-2012, 08:19 AM

Thank you everyone for the suggestions!! Keep em coming - I want this to be amazing. I've made about 10 blankets in the past for people, but this is the one I am the most stressed about. I know she will love it because I made it, but I don't want her to love it just for that reason, I want it to be perfect for her. I've always used SID and I've FMQ'ed only one baby blanket, basically tracing squares and shapes in a panel. I'll try to answer all the questions from previous posts.

Baloonatic - I don't think your opinion is too mean at all, I really appreciate your input and the time you took to post a picture illustrating your thoughts. I had considered that strip across the top, but when I put it up on my design wall it just didn't look good... however, in your photo it does. I may have to re-consider the plan.

The top is approx 42" x 60" so I don't want to lose much length.

It is fairly dark, but I tried using some lighter colors and it just didn't feel right. The top section is a blue and brown, the three panels (starting from left) are a: maroon, purple, green, gold, brown mix / gold, brown mix / green, purple, gold, brown mix. The dark strip is black with small dots of every color in the top, and the bottom panel is brown gold mix with very slight hues of green and purple. The vase is purple, the calla lillies are tan and the batik is a white with tans and pinks mixed in. The centers of the lillies are brown with blue dots.

Is there anything else that I could add as applique or should I just leave it with the flowers? Which by the way, are my favorite part of the whole thing.
    Old 11-24-2012, 08:45 AM

Yep, I like this too! Love how all the fabrics work together. Beautiful.
    Originally Posted by Baloonatic
    Oh yay, I think I did it....

I trimmed a little off the top and added the upper black strip.

I hope you don't think my opinion too mean, much less brutal...this is strictly my own opinion! It is YOUR quilt, and as such there is NO wrong way
    Old 11-24-2012, 08:52 AM
    Power Poster

It's very pretty but needs some beautiful quilting to bring it to life. Echoing around the flowers and vase a few times and adding vines. And if you can find a picture of an outline of cala lillies (check Google Images for coloring pages) you can copy them on plain paper and then pin them in place and sew on the line to fill in the large spaces around the vase. Would love to see what you finally decide to do. Please post again when finished. Good Luck!
    Old 11-24-2012, 09:54 AM

This is just an idea...Keep echoing around the lilies and vase all the way out to the edges on everything above the black line. This will give it motion. Then below the line - maybe a cross hatch in that area to make it look like a tablecloth.I really like the fabrics but it needs a little movement IMO.
    Old 11-24-2012, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rosie the "Ripper"
    This is just an idea...Keep echoing around the lilies and vase all the way out to the edges on everything above the black line. This will give it motion. Then below the line - maybe a cross hatch in that area to make it look like a tablecloth.I really like the fabrics but it needs a little movement IMO.
    Well said. Beautiful start.
    Old 11-24-2012, 08:58 PM

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions. I added the strip to the top of the 3 panels and I cut down the blue by 2.5" - didn't want to lose any more than that from the length. Thanks again balloonatic for the suggestion and visual aid. It looks much better this way.
    Tomorrow I will baste my sandwich and hopefully start quilting.