Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • New Member and New Quilter >
  • New Member and New Quilter

• New Member and New Quilter

Old 02-24-2010, 05:54 PM

Hi Heather..I am nearly new to this forum also. Welcome! Your quilts are great, I especially like the zipper quilt. I am from Ontario just outside of Windsor, eh.
    Old 02-24-2010, 06:02 PM

Welcome, Heather. Laurie from Oregon, here...but wish I were there. LOVE the Olympics! Your quilts are great. The zipper quilt is very eye-catching. I was wondering if you couldn't have stip pieced the "zipper" portion? Would seem much faster than all those small pieces.

I just joined this board in Jan. and it is AMAZING the wealth of information I have garnered from it. I love it. I also joined the Quilting Bee Swap, and that is really fun..already have swapped 6 blocks. Enjoy.
    Old 02-24-2010, 06:15 PM

Looks fabulous Heather, Great Job!
    Old 02-24-2010, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
    Welcome, Heather. Laurie from Oregon, here...but wish I were there. LOVE the Olympics! Your quilts are great. The zipper quilt is very eye-catching. I was wondering if you couldn't have stip pieced the "zipper" portion? Would seem much faster than all those small pieces.
    Hi Laurie,
    Yeah, that would have been easier but unfortunately impossible. If you look at the quilt, the zipper pieces consist of 4 pieces of one of the fabrics adjacent to it and 3 pieces of the other fabric adjacent to it. As I really never had the same 2 fabrics in the same order, it was impossible to strip piece and then cut.

I had each row laid out on a design wall with just the large rectangles only, and then I made little piles for each row in order. So, for example, I would put 3 blacks and then 4 browns, then the next zipper over would be 3 browns and 4 whites, and then the next zipper in the row would be 4 whites and 3 creams, etc.

To add to the confusion, in order to make them look like zippers, the pattern of the teeth alternate each row - so whereas I would be counting 3 of one fabric, 4 for of the next for one row, then on the next row I would have to count 4 of the first fabric, 3 of the next.

It sounds more confusing than it actually was. Just required careful planning and I numbered each row as I finished them.
    Old 02-24-2010, 06:59 PM
    Power Poster

Hello and welcome from SW Iowa. Glad to have you here. Your zipper quilt is awesome. Fatty, fatty 2x4 is so cute. I really like that pattern and the name is just so funny. Great job on both.
    Old 02-24-2010, 07:13 PM

I liked the quilts. I am Joy from West Virginia.
    Old 02-24-2010, 07:27 PM

Gotcha! I made a quilt of leaf blocks. Each leaf had one point extending into the block to the right of it, and another point extending into the block below it. A process called "tesselating". That pattern took A LOT of planning also, with me coloring a worksheet, leaf by leaf, row by row. It turned out fabulous, tho!
    Originally Posted by heather_campbell
    Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
    Hi Laurie,
    Yeah, that would have been easier but unfortunately impossible. If you look at the quilt, the zipper pieces consist of 4 pieces of one of the fabrics adjacent to it and 3 pieces of the other fabric adjacent to it. As I really never had the same 2 fabrics in the same order, it was impossible to strip piece and then cut.

I had each row laid out on a design wall with just the large rectangles only, and then I made little piles for each row in order. So, for example, I would put 3 blacks and then 4 browns, then the next zipper over would be 3 browns and 4 whites, and then the next zipper in the row would be 4 whites and 3 creams, etc.

To add to the confusion, in order to make them look like zippers, the pattern of the teeth alternate each row - so whereas I would be counting 3 of one fabric, 4 for of the next for one row, then on the next row I would have to count 4 of the first fabric, 3 of the next.

It sounds more confusing than it actually was. Just required careful planning and I numbered each row as I finished them.
    Old 02-24-2010, 07:39 PM

Welcome from southern Oregon!
    Your zipper quilt is fantastic!! :thumbup:
    Old 02-24-2010, 08:37 PM

Welcome to this absolutely fantastic site. I joined just a few days ago and love it. I have already had 2 problems solved for me and met a lot of really nice people. The info yu will learn is just amazing. Now if I could only learn how to logout for the night and get some sleep, that would be great!!!!! ENJOY
    Old 02-25-2010, 02:44 AM

Welcome from Ruth in NY. Great work on your quilts!