• A new technique for me >
  • A new technique for me

• A new technique for me

Old 09-05-2011, 10:28 PM

Beautiful!!!
    Old 09-06-2011, 07:35 AM

Pleassssse, how did you do this????
    Old 09-06-2011, 09:18 AM

If you took a class, it should be based on a book, pattern, quilter, art quilter, etc. Perhaps you can find out that info from your LQS?? It is fabulous and we would all love to know the basics, which I wouldn't think would violate any "codes". I would gladly take the class, but no one around here does anything cool like that, just your more traditional stuff :-/
    Old 09-06-2011, 11:43 AM

Very realistic looking. Good job on a new technique!
    Old 09-06-2011, 12:03 PM

Sooooo to everyone who is curious, I've been researching this to try to figure out which technique mom2boyz used LOL.

It seems Cindy Walter does the Snippets technique
    http://cindywalter.com/
    which involves double-sided fusible to secure the fabric pieces to the "canvas". It says no sewing is actually required, although it would probably be nice to have some thread/quilting on top.

On the other hand, the Confetti technique by Noriko Endo seems to involve scattering (with a plan) skinny strips of fabric onto the canvas (actually the batting), covering the finished design with tulle, and then securing it all with stitching in monofilament thread.
    Here's a link to a video (first of three):
    http://park19.wakwak.com/~noriko/

Anybody else want to jump in and speculate on the technique?
    Old 09-06-2011, 02:19 PM

O.K. I just bit the bullet and called the instructor of the class, Jan Dole. She lives in Grants Pass, OR and has started teaching in the Grants Pass, Medford, Ashland Oregon areas. I took the class at Fasturn in Medford.

She was so excited that you all were excited and encouraged me to share info with you. You would really benefit by taking her class as she knows so much more than I do, remember this is my first try! She is a great gal, very friendly and patient.

This is not the same as snippets, according to Jan, because snippets are adhered to steam a seam or its equivalent and when you toss the little pieces you have to be careful that all the stick-um is facing down, this can be an arduous task.

On the 20th of Sept I take the last class and learn how to adhere it all together. I did not take pictures as I went along so in order to do a tut, I'll need to make another one-oh goodie, it was fun.

So, to get you started, you either need to be an artist or choose a photo for inspiration. I used a calendar picture of a sheltie because it looked so very much like my own dog and because it was a much better picture than any I had taken, showing a lot more detail. Some other dogs would be a lot more difficult because their markings are not as apparent.

Find a photo with high contrast. The easiest scenery photos to do need to have contrast and depth, some things being close and others further away.

You'll need 2 pieces of cardboard or foam board(I got mine at the $$ store)size 20"x30". Cover one w/flannel. Enlarge photo, keeping in mind the size of your board. Trace the main outlines of your photo onto thin batting with a black Sharpie. Place a layer of backing fabric, right side toward the flannel, then the layer of batting.

Choose your fabrics to cut, the more colors in diff shades the better. Using your rotary cutter, slice into very thin slices, then keep cutting across the strips until you get the size pieces you want.

Begin picking up little dabs of fabric for any of the background, laying it on the batting & patting it down. Overlap colors if needed.
    Keep layering until you are happy with your design.
    (This is as far as I have gotten on mine)

Be sure you cover your art with the 2nd foam board and place several clips (also purchased at the $$ store) on the top, bottom, sides to keep pieces from shifting and to keep your kitties from sleeping on it. It can be transported this way and when you lift the top off carefully, very few pieces shift out of place.

As some of you have guessed the next step will be to cover with tulle and heavily quilted, keeping the confetti in place. As soon as I know more about this I will keep you posted. Look for a tut after Sept 20th when I know more.

If this isn't enough to get you started, send me an email & I'll try to answer any questions you may have.

If you think your LQS or guild might like to have her teach, email me and I'll give you her email addy.
    Old 09-06-2011, 02:39 PM

Thank you so very much for the info. (Unfortunately I live on the East coast of US, so I can't take a class with Jan Dole). Do you know if she has any patterns or books for sale?

Kat
    Old 09-06-2011, 05:31 PM

wow. thats awesome. such ity bity pieces. wow. it's absolutely gorgeous. i hope you only have good thoughts and memories of your furbaby whenever you see your quilt. :D
    Old 09-06-2011, 05:41 PM

I saw one of these before & they called it "snip its' because it's from little pieces of fabrics that are all cut up either by scissors or a rotary cutter. When I heard about the method I fell in love with it but have never done it. I think back then they covered it with Toulle....
    Old 09-06-2011, 09:05 PM

Great quilt. Looks like fun! Thanks for sharing.