Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Niece's Wedding Quilt Progress ~ The Hanky Bfly Quilt! >
  • Niece's Wedding Quilt Progress ~ The Hanky Bfly Quilt!

• Niece's Wedding Quilt Progress ~ The Hanky Bfly Quilt!

Old 06-02-2011, 05:07 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

I don't know how hand-quilters do it, my back and three fingers are soooo sore! I could never, ever hand-quilt a wholecloth, that's for sure.
    Old 06-02-2011, 05:30 PM

I have hand quilted a king T-shirt quilt about 2 yrs ago.
    I made the quilt & quilted it in about 8 weeks. Didn't have any really fancy quilting, but did appliqued laurel wreaths in the 4 corners & flannel for the backing.
    It turned out really nice. The lady I did it for, used her hubby's marathon runs shirts & gave it to him for their 35th anniversary.
    Old 06-16-2011, 10:46 AM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

ok, lots and lots of hand-embroidery, learning to do crewel work (my mom used to do lots of crewel when I was a little girl) ... lots of finger stabs, oh, I am almost ready for the quilt frame!!! I am soooo behind schedule, but its still set to be delivered in 9 days !!!

My family knows they get to leave me alone for the next week, make their own dinner or call for pizza... just don't bug me LOL. I would love to go to the Columbus show this weekend, but just don't feel I can afford the time :)

So here are a few teasers of a couple butterflies... my camera is charging up, so more pics later tonight or in the a.m. ~ I am getting ready to put final rainbow border work on later today! Yay!

I had to learn crewel embroidery to do the heads & antennae! lots of videos and sampler hoops later, was confident enough to try it on the real quilt LOL
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]212312[/ATTACH]

applying antennae...
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]212313[/ATTACH]

can you see it? this one is very subtle... but the crewel really added some neat texture and beauty! This one is all french knots... worked with 3 colors of floss
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]212314[/ATTACH]

no two are alike ~ I embellished each butterfly to work with its unique personality... Something about this bfly, I really like it, the dots are playful... so we did a little heart on its bumm :)
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]212315[/ATTACH]

this is one of my favorites... the crewel really really made this bfly shine...
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]212316[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-212306.jpe   attachment-212307.jpe   attachment-212308.jpe   attachment-212309.jpe   attachment-212310.jpe  

Old 06-16-2011, 10:49 AM

Wow!!!! That is going to be one very special quit that will be treasured.
    Old 06-16-2011, 11:49 AM

Can't wait for the big reveal!!
    Old 06-16-2011, 11:57 AM

They are sooo beautiful !!!

Thank you for sharing this event !! :thumbup:
    Old 06-16-2011, 12:29 PM

I am so impressed. Look forward to final pics. Keep your nose to the needle. You are doing fabulous work!
    Old 06-16-2011, 12:38 PM

this is going to be so beautiful. i guess it will be hard for you to see it go.
    Old 06-16-2011, 02:19 PM

LOL I just made the comment to my hubby, wish I could keep it (just for awhile), it may be worth entering in a show. Jess would probably let me, can she enter it as long as she references who made it? Just a thought ~ its going to live in Indiana ~ lots of great country fairs there!

But the fun is creating something with so much love, and giving it away to make someone smile... I hope I get smiles next week :) If not, at least I enjoyed this whole journey
    Old 06-16-2011, 03:34 PM

I am working on a butterfly quilt using my grandmothers hankies.. I have some of it on the designer wall right now.. I am short a few hankies so I have to go out on a hunt.. I really like the needle work.. I was given lots and lots of embroidery thread and dh said I should use it. Now, after looking at yours I think it would be a great idea. My grandmother lived in Indiana and cherished her hankies right up until she passed in dec,2010. One of my grand daughters can't take her eyes off of it,, so I think I will make it known that she is to have it some day.. thank you soooo much for inspiring me to keep moving forward on this one..
    I can't wait to see it finished !!!
    again,,, thank you thank you thank you.