Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Now they decide not to exchange Christmas gifts.... >
  • Now they decide not to exchange Christmas gifts....

• Now they decide not to exchange Christmas gifts....

Old 12-04-2010, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by dmackey
    Does not sound like they consulted with you in that "everyone" remark, so go ahead and give the gifts as planned.. and let them know that this is how YOU do Christmas, your way.

I have a different problem. I believe Christmas gifts are for children..., so if you are not under 18, you don't get a gift from me! My family has plenty of detrimental things to say about that, but I stick to my guns. I always request that in leiu of gifts for me, they buy a gift for a needy child, through any agency of their choice, such as Toys for Tots, etc.. because that is what I will be doing. I take my young nephews with me to buy gifts for children their own age and they love doing it. I will do the same with my little granddaughter (avatar) when she is old enough.

My favorite gift in the past 10 years was a sheet of patriotic window clings that my 7 year old nephew HAD to get for me because I have them count all the American flags they see while driving in the car and I teach them to sing patriotic songs from the time they start talking.

Diane
    Diane,

I like that. Christmas is for children.....very true .... I will be adopting that concept.
    Old 12-05-2010, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by mmonohon
    Originally Posted by dmackey

I have a different problem. I believe Christmas gifts are for children..., so if you are not under 18, you don't get a gift from me! My family has plenty of detrimental things to say about that, but I stick to my guns. I always request that in leiu of gifts for me, they buy a gift for a needy child, through any agency of their choice, such as Toys for Tots, etc.. because that is what I will be doing. I take my young nephews with me to buy gifts for children their own age and they love doing it. I will do the same with my little granddaughter (avatar) when she is old enough.

Diane
    Diane,

I like that. Christmas is for children.....very true .... I will be adopting that concept.
    MIchelle,

Expect your decision to cause some tumoil, but hopefully, you can convert the family. I loved to shop for the gifts for everyone, but choosing them was painful, is it the right color, size, useful, will they like it, what can I afford, yada, yada, yada. It is so nice to be done with all of that and just concentrate on giving decent toys to those in need. It makes for a much merrier Christmas for me.

Diane
    Old 12-05-2010, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by amma
    I would go ahead and give the gifts as planned.
    Find a white elephant gift and join in on the fun.
    Maybe hand them the gifts as you are all leaving, and wish them a heartfelt Merry Christmas. Don't let their inconsideration bother you, or your Christmas spirit :wink: :D:D:D
    I like this approach. And is there a pattern for the toothfairy pillow?
    Old 12-05-2010, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by amma
    I would go ahead and give the gifts as planned.
    Find a white elephant gift and join in on the fun.
    Maybe hand them the gifts as you are all leaving, and wish them a heartfelt Merry Christmas. Don't let their inconsideration bother you, or your Christmas spirit :wink: :D:D:D
    I think people should remember what Christmas is all about. I personally would rather give than receive. I get so much out of the making of the gift for a loved one, watching them open the gift and the look on their faces when they see the love I've poured into "their" gift.
    Giving a handmade gift is the gift itself plus the gift of the time involved in the making of the gift. I can think of no better way to show love for someone than to give a gift that was handmade with love.
    Old 12-05-2010, 05:04 AM

I would give it to them show them whats the season is all about, Jesus and love. Sounds like your family as nutty as mine. I made quilts for my teenage neice and nephew last year and had to ask them if they like it, she said yea, and he said I like the label Aunt Reggie.....how disappointing for all the work I did.
    Old 12-05-2010, 05:25 AM

I would give them anyway for Christmas or save them for birthday gifts for the next year. Don't let someone spoil your Christmas. Not worth it.
    Old 12-05-2010, 05:40 AM

I would take a quiet moment with each person on your list and give them each the gifts you made for them. They will be appreciated and it won't seam like a together type of gift exchange. Beautiful stuff you made :)
    Old 12-05-2010, 05:59 AM

I would give the chidren/teens the gifts as well.
    Old 12-05-2010, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
    For what it is worth , here's what I'd do. I would take my white elephant along with all of my other gifts. After the exchange, I'd get my gifts for each person and I'd give them too them. I'd explain that even though they had changed their plans after I had worked so hard on their gifts that I still wanted each one to have the special gifts I had made for them. That way, you'll go home feeling good about yourself and I imagine they will be a little bit ashamed of themselves.
    This would be my advice as well.

Some have advised not to participate in the white elephant. I ask "Why not"? it doesn't have to be anything that costs anything. The idea is to get rid of something really ugly or funny--maybe actually something someone else gave you. :) It is a game.
    Old 12-05-2010, 06:38 AM
    Power Poster

Since they are made I would give them. Put it down to experience. You will be wiser next time.