Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Now they decide not to exchange Christmas gifts.... >
  • Now they decide not to exchange Christmas gifts....

• Now they decide not to exchange Christmas gifts....

Old 12-05-2010, 07:35 AM

Christmas is a time of giving, not getting. You made the gifts for members of your family so just give them with love. I've been in the same position and once the gifts were given, I felt so much better because it was something I wanted to do.

Have a very blessed and joyous Christmas
    Old 12-05-2010, 11:16 AM

I can understand why you would be hurt. I would go ahead and give them. After-all, christmas is about giving.
    Old 12-05-2010, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by redquilter
    Sorry to hear that andI understand your frustration, but I urge you to give the gifts anyway. After all, you did make them especially for the recipients. Get an inexpensive "gag" gift and join the fun. Don't let this spoil the holiday for you.
    I vote to give the gifts, you have a lot of love sewn into them for the recipients. There is a cute tut on making a pincushion elephant recently on QB. Make that and that will be your white elephant and call it done.

Years ago I made a quilt for my m&fil's for Christmas. When she opened the gift, she said, "I don't think this will go with my bedroom set'. Slap in the face!! I said she can use it in the RV. Another "friend" received a gift I worked hard on and she comments "You made this. I like things from the store." Another slap in the face. My sewing does not have that home-made look as I strive for perfection. Neither of these people get gifts, store-bought or otherwise. My little nose got bent out of joint and stayed that way by their being so rude and unthoughtful.
    Old 12-05-2010, 12:03 PM

My dh family does the white elephant thing every year. Tho for past 5 years I have been unable to attend. I also tho have sent personalized gifts to individuals there with him. I am told they were happy to get. Don't worry. You spent so much time ,money and effort, JUST GO AHEAD AND GIVE THE PRESENTS ! Make or look for a white elephant gift to also participate.It is the economy and the jobs like more and more families realize they can no longer afford to buy separate gifts for each individual, let alone birthdays. I am sure they will appreciate your gifts. Next year go easy on yourself, this will probably be the new gift thing for a few years till everyone gets back on their feet where they feel they can financially support giving gifts, or maybe not if the familly is expanding with new children. It may become the yearly norm instead(WHITE ELEPHANT GIFTS) I know for the 16 years we have been together it has always been a WHITE ELEPHANT GIFT CHRISTMAS. And yes his relatives are constantly expanding as the children grow, marry and have babies.
    Old 12-05-2010, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by twistedsheets
    My dh family does the white elephant thing every year. Tho for past 5 years I have been unable to attend. I also tho have sent personalized gifts to individuals there with him. I am told they were happy to get. Don't worry. You spent so much time ,money and effort, JUST GO AHEAD AND GIVE THE PRESENTS ! Make or look for a white elephant gift to also participate.It is the economy and the jobs like more and more families realize they can no longer afford to buy separate gifts for each individual, let alone birthdays. I am sure they will appreciate your gifts. Next year go easy on yourself, this will probably be the new gift thing for a few years till everyone gets back on their feet where they feel they can financially support giving gifts, or maybe not if the familly is expanding with new children. It may become the yearly norm instead(WHITE ELEPHANT GIFTS) I know for the 16 years we have been together it has always been a WHITE ELEPHANT GIFT CHRISTMAS. And yes his relatives are constantly expanding as the children grow, marry and have babies.
    And I don't think it's because they are trying to be rude!! I beleive it is most likely the fact NOT EVERYONE IS FINANCIALLY able to give to each and everyone, and in the discussion they had some probably said they will not be able to join in and feel comfortable in coming because they could not afford!!
    Old 12-05-2010, 12:14 PM

I'd still give the gifts.

In our family, we do a secret santa with all the sisters/brothers. Well, one sister always insists on also buying us all a gift, and she's not suppose to. I use to be offended by it, but she said she just likes to get us something special out of the kindness of her heart. After she told me that, I accepted it better and don't take it as being an offensive gesture.
    Old 12-05-2010, 12:29 PM

after thinking about this for a while, i'm wondering what hubby (it's his family, right?) thinks about it all.
    Old 12-05-2010, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by amma
    I would go ahead and give the gifts as planned.
    Find a white elephant gift and join in on the fun.
    Maybe hand them the gifts as you are all leaving, and wish them a heartfelt Merry Christmas. Don't let their inconsideration bother you, or your Christmas spirit :wink: :D:D:D
    I woud do the same as Amma
    :D
    Old 12-05-2010, 01:36 PM

Give your gifts anyway. You made them out of love and hopefully not just for a gift exchange. Last year I started a project to make all of my immediate family (sibs, sil, nieces, neph, etc) quilts from my 20 yrs old stockpiled fabrics. This was in lieu of selling all the fabrics.

I made only half (about 18) last year, but the rest of the family and now my close friends are eagerly anticipating their quilts this year. I gave because I wanted to and my family doesn't exchange gifts anymore. We play family Christmas bingo and everyone wins a gift of some small items (i.e. spice tea, wallets, bath sets)that are purchased for $5.00 or under. We enjoy this, everyone leaves with something (we get kid friendly gifts too) even invited guests.

You have made some really beautiful gifts. Don't let other folks attitudes effect what you feel in your heart. Yes it can be disappointing the family changed directions at the last minute, but your gifts will also be cherished by those who receive them. Do find something for the white elephant gift so that you can participate with the family. Trying to make it tit for tat is never beneficial in the long run.

What resulted from the quilt making for my family and friends is that now I have turned into a quilter and I'm really enjoying it. I had been a sewer since I was 7 yrs. old. I have purchased 100's of dollars in fabric since I started quilting last year. Uh oh. Have a blessed holiday celebration with your family.
    Old 12-05-2010, 01:44 PM

I'd bring the gifts and before everyone does the white elephant gift exchange I would have my DH hand them out and explain that with all the time - effort- money - energy put in that you as a couple felt bad about not handing them out, especially for the children.
    I have a sister who is like the sil and I do not give her a gift. So maybe don't give the SIL hers but maybe give it with just her husbands name on it. She may understand how hurt you felt when that happens.