Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Now they decide not to exchange Christmas gifts.... >
  • Now they decide not to exchange Christmas gifts....

• Now they decide not to exchange Christmas gifts....

Old 12-03-2010, 09:37 PM

Here's a thought. Maybe when the SIL found out that you had made all those beautiful gifts, she got a little jealous because she isn't as talented as you are,,,or maybe she just felt that she could not compete with what you had done,,, so decided to opt out. Whatever the reason, don't let her upset your apple cart. You made the gifts with love, so give them with love. She obviously has her own reasons for changing the rules, and she will have to live with that. Merry Christmas!!!!
    Old 12-03-2010, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by amma
    I would go ahead and give the gifts as planned.
    Find a white elephant gift and join in on the fun.
    Maybe hand them the gifts as you are all leaving, and wish them a heartfelt Merry Christmas. Don't let their inconsideration bother you, or your Christmas spirit :wink: :D:D:D
    I agree!! It is the season of giving. Merry Christmas!
    Old 12-03-2010, 10:47 PM
    Power Poster

Give the gifts with a smile - yes you put a lot of time and effort into them , but I read the list of everyone you made for and that is a LOT of people and maybe after someone in the family crunched the numbers they realized they could not afford it. Maybe not even the sister that had to be the one to make the calls.

I come from a large family , I have 5 brothers and 2 sister who all have kids , who are now having kids :shock: It was decided a few years back to not exchange gifts because a couple could not afford it anymore - my oldest brother called everyone to pass the news around- it wasn't his decision but he took the lead and made the calls .
    Old 12-03-2010, 10:49 PM

How sorry I am to hear that But no matter how they feel and decided that they don't want to exchange gifts Don't be like them. You made these with your heartful feelings. And as the old saying goes " It's better to give than receive" Let them think about it at least you will be the one who has accomplished how your heart feels about giving. And most of all I bet the kids will really love what you made for them for Christmas.

Cheryl
    Old 12-03-2010, 11:15 PM

Without a doubt give the children your gifts! They are adorable. As for the adults talk to your husband. What does he say? If he says give for Christmas then by all means give with joy in your heart. If he says no then save them for their birthdays or anniversaries. Just think you would have extra time to quilt this year instead of making gifts for his family. If he's undecided - go ahead and give to your hearts content - you deserve to see smiles of enjoyment for all the work you did. In-laws can be so much fun haha. Have a very Merry Christmas anyway!
    Old 12-03-2010, 11:48 PM
    Power Poster

And what a beautiful thoughtful gifts you made. Really weird how they just canceled. I am sure the kiddies were not the ones canceling so I would still give them their stuff. As for the others i would hold it till it was their birthday. Still sad. Sending you a big hug.
    Old 12-04-2010, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
    I would give them the handmade gifts anyway!

Have a Merry Christmas and take gifts for the elephant thing
    That's what I would do.
    Old 12-04-2010, 04:46 AM

I'd give the gifts to the children and keep the ones for the adults and gift them to someone who will really appreciate the projects. Of course the ones with names would be a problem, and I would give the parents theirs regardless. My guess is the parents "just went along". Actually the siblings probably feel inferior because they are not talented enough to actually make things. Just a thought here.
    Old 12-04-2010, 05:01 AM

Go ahead and give the beautiful things you put so much effort into making. They came out "priceless". By doing it you (hopefully) will remind others of what the season really is about.
    Old 12-04-2010, 05:02 AM

Go ahead and give the beautiful things you put so much effort into making. They came out "priceless". By doing it you (hopefully) will remind others of what the season really is about.