Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • OBW fabric.  How did I do? >
  • OBW fabric. How did I do?

• OBW fabric. How did I do?

Old 01-02-2012, 08:33 AM

I agree with the peanut gallery - great choice of fabric and some really beautiful blocks coming out of it. I can't wait to see the finished product!
    Old 01-02-2012, 08:35 AM

These blocks are truly beautiful !!! It's going to be a Stunning, and I do mean STUNNING quilt !!! Can't wait to see the finished product Great Job........ and GOOD FOR YOU for finding this perfect fabric at such an amazing price!!
    Old 01-02-2012, 09:12 AM

Great choice. I too, would love to see the end result.
    Old 01-02-2012, 09:31 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by gardnergal970
    Isn't amazing how you can get so many different looks from the same fabric? I made a couple of these when I first started quilting and it was so inspiring. It gave me more confidence to trust my " eye" when putting a more traditional sampler together. Love the process you're using and you've gotten spectacular results!

I know the type of fabric you are suggesting and yes indeed, it'll make for one terrific OBW!
    Get it out and start chopping it up!
    Old 01-02-2012, 10:28 AM

It's great how you are using paper plates to keep the pieces together. Looks like you are doing a wonderful job of it dixie_fried! I remember in the book Maxine Rosenthal said that you should pick the fabric based on how much you like the colors rather than if you like the design. The fabric you chose is going to make a fabulous OBW quilt. It's a perfect example of how a fabric that made it to the clearance rack, that doesn't work well for most projects works so beautifuly for a OBW. Can't wait to see it all when you are in the stages of arranging the blocks... that's the really fun part!
    I had to laugh when I read your post, because my very first quilt about a year ago was a (an?) OBW too and all because I got inspired by the book. And the reason I found this quilting board is because I had no idea how to quilt it after I got it all pieced. Turns out that is a common problem for many people. So I have that quilt to thank for helping me find the inspiring people and wonders of the QB!
    Old 01-02-2012, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by dixie_fried
    The fabric I really want to try with is an Asian panel. It's a whole pagoda scene with people and mountains and ocean. I think stacking 6 panels and whacking them up would result in some really fabulous hexagons!
    I just want to add that if you go to the quilt gallery and look under OBWs you will see some wonderful ones done in Asian fabrics (though I don't know if anyone has done a panel). My second quilt ever was an OBW done in Asian fabrics and might even be in the gallery. Those fabrics lend themselves beautifully to OBWs!
    Old 01-02-2012, 10:46 AM

Beautiful....great choice.
    Old 01-02-2012, 10:55 AM

Serial posting here...
    Dixie, you mentioned trying to figure out a design wall- a real necessity for really "seeing" your block layout. There are a whole bunch of great threads here on how to make many different kinds of design walls. Just wanted to share one less expensive version. Buy neutral colored, wide and thick fleece, twice as much as the size of your design wall. It's not too expensive with a sale or a Joanne's coupon. Fold the giant fleece piece in half and pin it onto a wide wall in your home. (I hammered in T pins.) Pinning doesn't hurt the wall and it's easy to take down and store when not in use. For some reason a double layer or a single layer with padding of some kind underneath holds the blocks on really well, while a single layer did not.
    Also, when you first get your block arrangement layed out, don't be in a hurry to sew it together. Take some time (days even) to stare at your blocks and play with the arrangement. I was in too much of a hurry my first OBW and ended up ripping seams out and rearranging things. (Look carefully for any blocks put together in the wrong order too, which i did a few times too many.)
    Old 01-02-2012, 10:59 AM
    Power Poster

My design wall is black fleece .... one layer! Everything sticks to it without any problems.
    Once I had my OBW all put together and pressed, I hung it there for a good drying time .... no pins!

BuzzinBumble ... Maybe it's the weight of the fleece you used? I didn't buy any specific type, just black of what was in stock.
    Old 01-02-2012, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by dixie_fried
    The fabric I really want to try with is an Asian panel. It's a whole pagoda scene with people and mountains and ocean. I think stacking 6 panels and whacking them up would result in some really fabulous hexagons!
    A friend of mine used a panel for a OBW and it turned out wonderfully. Until I saw her quilt I don't think I'd have thought to use a panel. Go for it!