Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • OBW Fabric questions >
  • OBW Fabric questions

• OBW Fabric questions

Old 02-16-2011, 08:58 PM

Hey, if you can make chickens into OBW why not the sunflowers? I think they would both work, but the second one is my favorite.
    Old 02-16-2011, 10:18 PM
    Power Poster

They are both pretty, but the first one the print may be too small to get much variation in your blocks. The second one looks like a better candidate to me :D:D:D
    Old 02-17-2011, 08:57 AM
    Power Poster

I made a practice one and my flowers were a bit larger than your first fabric. I wasn't happy. I really think that the print was too small, and with a 9" repeat, I don't think this one would be good candidate.
    I think the second one will really be the better choice, bigger print, longer repeat. make sure you purchase enough for 6 repeats plus a bit extra. Please post your completed project!!
    Old 02-17-2011, 03:24 PM

You brought up a good point about the repeats and that is probable a question I should have ask, "What is a good guess at how far apart the repeats should be?" Is there any suggested distance?

I plan on playing around a bit with both fabrics to see what I can come up with. I'll post them when I do. It was to pretty of a day today to stay inside but I will do this soon.

Oh yea I always buy 3 yds when I get fabrics so I should be good and the second one I got 4 yds so I could play a bit too.

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    I made a practice one and my flowers were a bit larger than your first fabric. I wasn't happy. I really think that the print was too small, and with a 9" repeat, I don't think this one would be good candidate.
    I think the second one will really be the better choice, bigger print, longer repeat. make sure you purchase enough for 6 repeats plus a bit extra. Please post your completed project!!
    Old 02-17-2011, 04:20 PM

I guess it depends on how close your repeats are so as to get six repeats. Plus you should have a half yard left over for the back so you could see the original fabric. JMO.. I like your second fabric also..
    Old 02-17-2011, 04:37 PM
    Power Poster

I think both would probably work well, but I would have a hard time cutting into that second fabric. It would look so great as a border, without being pieced.
    Old 02-17-2011, 08:46 PM

The print might be too small on the first one to really make dramatic hexagons. Not enough variety and size of motifs too. Now, that second one has everything you might need. That one will be a wonderful OBW. You do need to have six repeats of the print.
    Old 02-18-2011, 12:08 AM

Beautiful fabrics. Should work up great as OBW blocks. Be sure to post pictures!
    Old 02-18-2011, 12:57 AM

both are pretty, but the 2nd one really caught my eye
    Old 02-18-2011, 02:39 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

I agree with amma that the print is too small in the first and the colurs are two indistinct - you'd end up with something very similar to the original fabric so why bother? The second one is OK but not really a great choice either - the effect would be subtle as again the colours are indistinct though the swirls are good.

Edit: you were also asking about 'standard size' etc - do you have one of the Maxine Rosenthal books? You'll find all the information you need there - IMO it would be pretty difficult to make one of these quilts successfully without a book. If you follow this link to the OBW Topic List heading, all the information is there... http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual_section_list.jsp