Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • old quilts + codes >
  • old quilts + codes

• old quilts + codes

Old 08-15-2017, 06:13 AM

Thank you for raising the problem of destroying history by pulling down statues, etc. That was history, too, and should not be disposed of. What is that old saying that people who destroy history will be doomed to repeat the same mistakes. Only time will tell.
    Old 08-15-2017, 06:37 AM

Well, we know there was an Underground Railroad. As others have said, the "quilt blocks as a guide" concept has not been substantiated and has been "debunked" by scholars as mentioned in previous posts. It is amazing to me that museum curators represent the concept as historical fact.

People like to speculate on the details in history. I recall having a quilt evaluated by a quilt historian about 5 years ago. I knew almost nothing about it except for a name written on a laundry type tag and sewn on as a label. I had read some information about the owner, since he was part of our local history, so I told the historian some theories that I had about who might have made it, when, etc. My words were something to the effect that "I like to speculated about the details." Her words were that speculation on historic matters is a dangerous thing.

I will never forget that, but I still like to "speculate" or dream of "what if's". However, I try to keep speculation and documented answers separate in my mind and in my words to others.
    Old 08-17-2017, 08:54 AM

These are very nice. I am originally from Richfield, Ohio and we had a restaurant in the center of town called the "Underground". It was use as a stop for the slaves that were traveling the underground railroad. Love the codes for the blocks. Thank you for sharing.