• One Block Wonder >
  • One Block Wonder

• One Block Wonder

Old 06-24-2021, 05:12 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by Gay
    Great work, Christine, the quilt is beautiful
    Sent you an email, hope you got it.
    Thank you! I did receive your lovely note!
    Old 06-24-2021, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper
    Oh WOW! It's beautiful. How on earth did you figure out what went where? Way beyond my capabilities!
    Honestly, I didn't have 'a plan' but did know I'd like some type of swirl/subtle heart in the middle.. I separated all the half-hexi's into color stacks to see what I had to play with and 2 hours later this is what it turned out to be! The next morning I moved 1 or 2 and started sewing them together. If I think too much it would never get done!

Definitely a fun quilt to make - I highly recommend for those (like me) that typically want even/square/balanced/methodical type layouts. There are no rules with the OBW layout!
    Old 06-24-2021, 05:24 AM
    Power Poster

I agree with Lindaschipper...how do you decide what to put where? Lovely!
    Old 06-24-2021, 05:24 AM

Beautiful. And I see the heart of it
    Old 06-24-2021, 06:02 AM

OBW are always so cool looking!
    Old 06-24-2021, 06:08 AM

This is a beautiful keeper of a quilt. I do hope you keep this one for yourself. It is stunning and you did a grand job on it. It is a perfect one block wonder. Thanks for sharing this one it is an inspiration.
    Old 06-24-2021, 06:09 AM

I love the colors and the pattern you designed in you OBW. Glad you shared it as I have never heard of one block wonder. I will have to do some research.
    Old 06-24-2021, 08:23 AM

Thumbs up One block Wonder

Originally Posted by TheMerkleFamily
    My 1st OBW attempt using Robert Kaufman Venice by Christiane Marques fabric (Multi) was an easy and fun project! Really enjoyed the process and will certainly make more. Thanks for looking -
    I have not made a OBW yet but plan to and looking at yours, which I love, brings me to a question. I see that in the upper right corner a few blues are together and in the left corner some yellows are together and some pinks are kinda circled around the center. Does this mean that you can lay out your blocks the way you to choose or did they just randomly end up that way? I haven't read the instructions for a OBW so don't know the exact process. Thanks
    Old 06-24-2021, 02:36 PM
    Power Poster

Gorgeous OBW. Love the colors. Great work.
    Old 06-24-2021, 04:11 PM

Thank you all for the lovely comments. To answer a few of those who asked questions - it feels a bit overwhelming to embark on a OBW quilt but once you have the information it's really not difficult and it certainly provides an opportunity to be very creative.

Here's what I did in advance of cutting fabric:
    - I read Maxine Rosenthal's book on One Block Wonder Quilts which helps you understand how it all works
    - I discovered an online website that allows you to upload pics of fabric candidates and play with the various strip cut widths so that you can find what appeals to you the most - consult Mr. Google for the One Block Wonder Design Helper website
    - I asked some questions and received some great tips on the QB from other members who had experience with the how-to's and their shared experience was very helpful!
    - I follow a facebook page called One Block Wonder Quilt Forum which has tons & tons of information in files under Announcements. The leader of the group is very, very helpful with guidance, tips, explanations, advice.. And the member participation is awesome - you see all types of beautiful OBW works in progress and finished. It's a very inspiring facebook group. And for those who remember Kassaundra - she's active on that site showing her gorgeous creations!

Once you understand the process it's really fun seeking out the perfect-for-you fabric and making choices on strip size and then once hexi's are sewn in 1/2's you can start laying it all out and play, play, play! In my case, I put up all the half hexi's within a few hours and only made 2-3 switches the next morning. I didn't have a plan I just decided to group colors and arrange in a certain subtle way and that's what I got!

I hope I might inspire another to try it! And please feel free to ask me any questions - I'd be happy to share my experience and help any way I can.