Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • opinion please >
  • opinion please

• opinion please

Old 09-08-2010, 04:54 PM

Unless you get each heart exactly centered in the block, it's going to look wonky. One solution would be to deliberately make it wonky by putting some of the hearts leaning one way and some of them leaning the other, some to one side, some to the other, some higher and some lower. Then it looks like you planned it rather than made a mistake.

I like the one with the hearts on the outside blocks best.
    Old 09-08-2010, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
    I'm not keen on either layout of hearts, because neither seems consistent. In the top pic, you have 20 hearts. If you start from the top left corner, you can do a whole diagonal row. Then if you alternate diagonal rows, i.e. don't put hearts in the next row of light blocks, but then make another row in the following diagonal row, that will use up exactly 20 hearts!
    I like this idea and it would be more balanced :)
    Old 09-08-2010, 08:14 PM
    Power Poster

I like the way it looks with a small heart on each of the light squares like you have on page 2 of this thread.
    Old 09-08-2010, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
    I'm not keen on either layout of hearts, because neither seems consistent. In the top pic, you have 20 hearts. If you start from the top left corner, you can do a whole diagonal row. Then if you alternate diagonal rows, i.e. don't put hearts in the next row of light blocks, but then make another row in the following diagonal row, that will use up exactly 20 hearts!
    I agree, the diagonal would look best. Do you have enough of the lighter fabric to do some on the darker squares?
    Old 09-09-2010, 05:06 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for all of the advice. I decided to go with my DH idea and make hearts smaller and place on each light block. They have been attached with lite heat and bond. So thanks again.
    Old 09-09-2010, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I like the way it looks with a small heart on each of the light squares like you have on page 2 of this thread.
    Thanks, I like this myself as well. I am sure that my nephew and his wife will love it as well. They will also be very surprised. They have no idea that I am making them a lap quilt for Christmas.
    Old 09-10-2010, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by chamby
    Thanks for all of your suggestions. I had to laugh when I read the one about closing my eyes and dropping the hearts. It would be my luck that half of them would fall on the same block. I showed the layout to my DH and ask his opinion. He said the hearts were too large and over powered the quilt. I am like you, I did not like either layout. My DH said to make the hearts smaller and put one in each light block. So I used up some of the left over fabric that I was thinking about using for the binding and made the little hearts. My backing is a different color and print of fabric, so I guess I will use the backing fabric for the binding as well.
    Anyway here is the finished quilt top minus the stitching around the hearts. Now it is full and balanced. Oh and yes I will be using one the hearts on the label
    It will be awhile but I will post again when it is completed.
    Thanks again for your help.
    I think this is gorgeous and by far the best solution!

Yay for your DH, and for you!
    Old 09-10-2010, 04:05 AM

Beautiful quilt I am not good at suggestions. I know what ever you decide will be beautiful because it seems to be made with love.
    Old 09-10-2010, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
    Originally Posted by chamby
    Thanks for all of your suggestions. I had to laugh when I read the one about closing my eyes and dropping the hearts. It would be my luck that half of them would fall on the same block. I showed the layout to my DH and ask his opinion. He said the hearts were too large and over powered the quilt. I am like you, I did not like either layout. My DH said to make the hearts smaller and put one in each light block. So I used up some of the left over fabric that I was thinking about using for the binding and made the little hearts. My backing is a different color and print of fabric, so I guess I will use the backing fabric for the binding as well.
    Anyway here is the finished quilt top minus the stitching around the hearts. Now it is full and balanced. Oh and yes I will be using one the hearts on the label
    It will be awhile but I will post again when it is completed.
    Thanks again for your help.
    I think this is gorgeous and by far the best solution!

Yay for your DH, and for you!
    Thanks for your support. I am glad that the top is finally finished.
    Now on to quilting.
    Old 09-10-2010, 04:22 AM

I´m with Lacelady on this one. Or do the centre blocks and then do them in a diamond shape in the middle.

Elle