Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Orange Butterflies, Butterflies, Butterflies! >
  • Orange Butterflies, Butterflies, Butterflies!

• Orange Butterflies, Butterflies, Butterflies!

Old 03-20-2011, 02:30 PM

Wonderful quilt & story!
    Old 03-20-2011, 02:43 PM

Beautiful!!!!!!!!! What a wonderful blend of generations. YOu should have left two butterflies without the black work.
    Old 03-20-2011, 02:46 PM

That is beautiful. It will be a great story for her to know as she grows up.
    Old 03-20-2011, 03:24 PM

The quilt is beautiful and what a treasure for your granddaughter. My mother made my great-granddaughter a quilt but could never get the binding right. Gave it to me to finish (I haven't yet, shame on me)but she will have a quilt sewn by bother great-great grandmother (Nana) and her great grandmother (Grammy)
    Old 03-20-2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by patimint
    The quilt is beautiful and what a treasure for your granddaughter. My mother made my great-granddaughter a quilt but could never get the binding right. Gave it to me to finish (I haven't yet, shame on me)but she will have a quilt sewn by bother great-great grandmother (Nana) and her great grandmother (Grammy)
    I'll bet that when several generations lived together, there were many quilts that were a "team" effort. It doesn't matter that you don't think is right, but that you did it.
    Old 03-20-2011, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Karen K.
    Beautiful!!!!!!!!! What a wonderful blend of generations. YOu should have left two butterflies without the black work.
    That's a great idea - didn't even think of that! Mine are the ones in the upper row, 3'rd and 4th block. They show up as being kinda boring after the "antlers" that mother did!
    Old 03-20-2011, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by SaraSewing
    As I sort through my scraps, I found that I have lots of orange. And it is not my favorite color. So I dreamed a way to use lots of the orange! Butterflies!

As my grandkids turn 6 years old, I make them a new twin quilt for their bed, since little kid stuff is outgrown and outdated. My little gal turns 6 on March 20 and here is her quilt.

It has a sub-story going on too. My 88 year old mother was living with us. As I cut the fabric, she never ceased to be amazed at a rotary cutter and mat. Then she said "I speak to embroidery on the 'antlers'."

AHH very nice I also love butterflies.. is this a pattern or your own design?

As each block was done, she started in. Some of them are pretty wonky and strange, but it was her doing. Then when there were only 2 left, Mother had a stroke and passed away a few days later (Feb 24). I am a hospice nurse, so I felt right in my element to take care of her at home. It was busy, but a very satisfying and peaceful time.

This little quilt is from little Sariah's granmother (me) and her great grandmother! I hope she appreciates it when she's older. Sariah spent several days with us just two weeks before her old Gran died, so I think she'll remember her.
    Old 03-20-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by SaraSewing
    As I sort through my scraps, I found that I have lots of orange. And it is not my favorite color. So I dreamed a way to use lots of the orange! Butterflies!

As my grandkids turn 6 years old, I make them a new twin quilt for their bed, since little kid stuff is outgrown and outdated. My little gal turns 6 on March 20 and here is her quilt.

It has a sub-story going on too. My 88 year old mother was living with us. As I cut the fabric, she never ceased to be amazed at a rotary cutter and mat. Then she said "I speak to embroidery on the 'antlers'."

As each block was done, she started in. Some of them are pretty wonky and strange, but it was her doing. Then when there were only 2 left, Mother had a stroke and passed away a few days later (Feb 24). I am a hospice nurse, so I felt right in my element to take care of her at home. It was busy, but a very satisfying and peaceful time.

This little quilt is from little Sariah's granmother (me) and her great grandmother! I hope she appreciates it when she's older. Sariah spent several days with us just two weeks before her old Gran died, so I think she'll remember her.
    Oh I just read the story .. :) sorry about your loss , but I can see you will find peace here as well;). I know butterflies always remind me of my son. God Bless you all.
    Old 03-20-2011, 03:59 PM

My condolences on your mom's passing, Sara.

I'm sure Sariah will treasure this beautiful quilt knowing you both had a hand in creating it just for her.
    Old 03-20-2011, 04:23 PM

It is lovely.