Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Other blocks to use with mariner's compass? >
  • Other blocks to use with mariner's compass?

• Other blocks to use with mariner's compass?

Old 03-13-2011, 02:49 PM

no answers to you questions, but i think it's gorgeous!
    Old 03-13-2011, 02:53 PM

Look on quilters cache.com
    there are some good secondary blocks there, look at
    A triple star, starin chain, four on the road, shining hour, marions choice,
    Starinnsquare.
    I also like the border you used around the center, I would repeat it again further out, maybe. After a couple rows of blocks.
    Old 03-13-2011, 03:19 PM

I think if you carry the orange to the outer border it would really look great. It would tie the border to the center star. Just audition it and see what you think.
    Old 03-13-2011, 03:20 PM

I love it just the way it is.
    Old 03-13-2011, 03:25 PM

I love this pattern. The colors are great
    Old 03-13-2011, 04:22 PM
    Power Poster

First of all your center is just lovely. I too am working on a MC quilt. When I saw your center and saw that you need to make it king size I thought to take your center square and set it on point then surround it with a border of something. I used Flying geese in mine and it looks great and doesn't take away from the center compass. A long sawtooth would look good too.

Then I made additional MC blocks and set them into the four corner triangles of the quilt to get it back to being a square with the large on point compass unit in the center. You could enlarge those corner compasses by putting a ring of points or geese around them. By now you should have a roughly queen size quilt top which doesn't have borders yet. You can do more partial compasses to make up your border. This is what I am doing with mine. You can also repeat that border motif you used around your center compass.
    Old 03-13-2011, 05:55 PM

I think the visual interest in the faceted jewels quilt comes from the repeat in the blocks, the secondary patterns where the blocks meet. I can't see it being effective with the compasses. Maybe something else with lots of batiks would work nicely. I love the idea of bringing the orange from the middle compass out to the edge. Oh, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE what you have done so far.
    Old 03-13-2011, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by gal288
    Look on quilters cache.com
    there are some good secondary blocks there, look at
    A triple star, starin chain, four on the road, shining hour, marions choice,
    Starinnsquare.
    I also like the border you used around the center, I would repeat it again further out, maybe. After a couple rows of blocks.
    Thank you, Peg. I'll take a look at your suggested blocks.
    Old 03-13-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    First of all your center is just lovely. I too am working on a MC quilt. When I saw your center and saw that you need to make it king size I thought to take your center square and set it on point then surround it with a border of something. I used Flying geese in mine and it looks great and doesn't take away from the center compass. A long sawtooth would look good too.

Then I made additional MC blocks and set them into the four corner triangles of the quilt to get it back to being a square with the large on point compass unit in the center. You could enlarge those corner compasses by putting a ring of points or geese around them. By now you should have a roughly queen size quilt top which doesn't have borders yet. You can do more partial compasses to make up your border. This is what I am doing with mine. You can also repeat that border motif you used around your center compass.
    Thanks for your suggestions. I think I should have planned better before starting the quilt! I'll do some measuring and see how much bigger it needs to be to do an on point center motif. I do like the look of flying geese blocks and have been thinking about them in a border at some point!
    Old 03-13-2011, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jan T
    I think the visual interest in the faceted jewels quilt comes from the repeat in the blocks, the secondary patterns where the blocks meet. I can't see it being effective with the compasses. Maybe something else with lots of batiks would work nicely. I love the idea of bringing the orange from the middle compass out to the edge. Oh, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE what you have done so far.
    Thank you, Jan. The more I look at the faceted jewels, the more I know you are right. I will have to save that pattern for another quilt and do something less fussy for this one.