Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Pansy Kaleidoscopes >
  • Pansy Kaleidoscopes

• Pansy Kaleidoscopes

Old 04-12-2009, 07:08 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pam Pollock
    I was just telling my husband that your kaleidoscope Pansies would make cute pot holders or hot pads & then I read where you needed to stop making them so that you could get busy making hot pads etc for a store. LOL They would be really cute for the store & they look like they would be pretty hanging up in a kitchen or in a quilt (either one).
    I have done the Ks in hotpads and they took awhile to sell in the store so I kinda put them on the back burner so to speak. I have revived the idea again because I am taking my stuff to Old Threshers this fall and I wanted to find a way to use them that would sell.

Old Threshers Reunion is a big event that draws people from all over the world. It is themed around the antique tractors and the 1800's. It covers over 3 miles and has a permanent old time village and they have 3 or 4 old trains they use and ground carts so people can go from one side of the park to another. It is big on crafts and demonstrations. They do reenactments of gun fights and rob the train and rob the bank etc. It is a lot of fun.

I never felt I could do it before but so many have urged me to that i and my friend Dorothy with help from my daughter are going to do it this year.

So I am now sewing some of the Ks onto canvas totes and will add a pocket on the back side with the original material.

I probably will make some into hotpads and I am still looking for a better idea to use them. Any suggestions??
    Old 04-12-2009, 07:10 AM
    Power Poster

[quote=sewhappy57]Hey Rhonda,
    Thank you for the template, Please tell me the pattern you use for your Kaleidoscopes I've made lots of stack n whacks I like the scalloped edges.

Thanks Sewhappy57
    Terry[/quot

Sorry I didn't answer sooner I didn't check on this thread and didn't see your post.

If you go to my site you will see the directions for my ks

Just click on "the cut down method" in my signature
    Old 04-12-2009, 07:14 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by youme
    Beautiful!! However hard I tried, I could not match the center part all right. I need practicing more.

Panda

I don't like to match the center so I choose to cut my sections short and cover the center with a yoyo that matches the fabric. I cut a piece out of the fabric that will either match or add to the design. Like finding an individual flower that will stand out in the middle.

I did one just the other day to try it again because it has been a long time since I did it that way and I still find it too bulky and I couldn't get the seams to match right.

It is so much easier on the brain to just use a yoyo.
    Old 04-12-2009, 07:16 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by beachlady
    Rhonda, can I come to your house and take lessons? Those are beautiful.
    Beachlady you can come any time!! Would be gald to have you! Just hope you aren't allergic. I have 2 dogs and a cat and a cockatiel. Lots of fur flying at my place!!! :D :D
    Old 04-12-2009, 07:19 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Shemjo
    Wow! :lol: :lol: Did you fussy cut the pieces?

Yes I fussy cut but it isn't any harder than drawing around the template and cutting out the pieces. I put a pin with a yellow head on it in my sections so I can find them when I go back to cut them out.

You can see my directions on my site just click on "the cut down method" in my signature.
    Old 04-12-2009, 07:21 AM
    Power Poster

I have a black fabric with flowers and a yellow one I will be cutting soon as I have time.

I will be making more. They are so much fun and they are pretty fast.
    Old 04-12-2009, 07:23 AM

Hi Rhonda,I was wondering about the hotpads and glasses case,are they done by paper piecing? I would sure like to do something for money.We are retired I tired the part time job route,the tax lady said tax wise I would be better off not working. But sure makes a long time between checks.Then it only goes for bills,no much left for quilting or any thing..I like paper piecing and it looks so neat,but it jsut takes so long.

Pat
    Old 04-12-2009, 07:24 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Patty44
    Is there a lot of wasted fabric?
    There is some wasted fabric but depends on what size template you use and how much you can find areas that are suitable to cut out. I quite often can butt up one section to another that was already cut out previously but I don't look for that. I concentrate more on what looks good for the Kaleidoscope and not whether I will leave waste. But as long as I can find a good spot to cut I will use all of it that I can.
    Old 04-12-2009, 07:27 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by omak
    Very pretty! Thank you for sharing!
    I cannot imagine what that fabric looks like now that you are done cutting it up into pieces. Or, maybe the greater thought might be: What is she going to do with the scraps? LOL
    You know I never thought about it til I saw your post. I wonder what the scraps would look like in a confusion? That is my version of a crazy quilt.
    A crazy crumb pattern is basically the same. I just use mine differant than most people.

I'll have to try it and see! Hmm......
    Old 04-13-2009, 05:00 AM

Your pansy kaleidoscope pieces are wonderful. Makes me want to do kaleidoscopes. I find them so fascinating.