Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Part 2 on my Diamond log Cabin Star >
  • Part 2 on my Diamond log Cabin Star

• Part 2 on my Diamond log Cabin Star

Old 12-13-2010, 09:40 PM
    Power Poster

I'm looking forward to seeing it when you're done. It's going to be absolutely gorgeous.
    Old 12-13-2010, 11:38 PM

I started all over again and I ran out of startch so I'm going ot go tomorrow and get some more and continue wiht what i was doing. I thnk the startch is going ot help a lot and I'm trying to be more careful about the trimming if needed and more measuring. Ya know what they say, measure twice and cut once. LOL! Like I said I have plenty of fabric so it isn't a problem to start over. Yeppers.. it's going ot be a gorgiuos quilt. Huggies, Fay P.S. I'm using a 1/4" foot to sew the seams on. I llike it too.
    Old 12-14-2010, 08:48 AM
    Power Poster

This is one pattern that goes together very easily if you're careful about checking the size and shape of your block regularly. That's the reason for the paper template, which makes it easy to do so. But if you don't check the size and shape, the block will probably drift off, and then they won't fit together. You might try blocking the blocks you've made, as someone already suggested, to see if they can be forced into submission.
    Old 12-14-2010, 09:09 AM

Dunster, I have a question. Your pattern is on my list of things to do as soon as I decide on the colorway.

Now the question -- would it be better to paperpiece this? Not that I want to tear out all those little pieces of paper. Just wondering.
    Old 12-14-2010, 09:27 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by LaurieE
    Dunster, I have a question. Your pattern is on my list of things to do as soon as I decide on the colorway.

Now the question -- would it be better to paperpiece this? Not that I want to tear out all those little pieces of paper. Just wondering.
    I love paper piecing, and I frequently use it when there's a particularly difficult angle in a block, but I can't see using that method for a log cabin (which this is) because it's not necessary. As you know, paper piecing can use quite a bit more fabric. The blocks for this quilt are larger than a standard sheet of paper, and so you would probably have to draw them out individually, and that takes time. (48 blocks) Every time a log is added, you need to press and then trim. Then there's the removal of all that paper, which also takes time. You can get very good results with standard piecing, if you follow the directions in the pattern. I weighed the pro's and con's before I started, and several times while writing and revising the pattern, and I still think the time is better spent on standard piecing with frequent checks to be sure you're maintaining the size and shape of the block. And I found that by doing this I actually improved my piecing skills, which has translated to better success with other projects. So that's my opinion, but I'm sure there are those who would prefer to paper piece this, and that's fine because we quilters are all different, and that's why we have such a variety of techniques, patterns, colorways, etc. to choose from.
    Old 12-14-2010, 11:02 AM

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee,,,,,it 's comming together so far. See what I did was add 1/4" to the center diamond and then after I sewed on the fisrt logs I placed it on the template and then took off just a smidgeon, not that it's a bird or any thing, ( an old joke ) any way, the piece fit perfectly and then I just got back from getting the sparay startch and now it should all work out so let us hope so. I hate paper piecing and I can never get it right. Grrr. Well back to my quilt blocks. I'm a happy old bag now. I will let you know how it will go from here on. Huggies., Fay
    Old 01-19-2011, 03:58 PM

Like it very much. What pattern is it? I certainly would like to try that.
    Old 01-19-2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by busygranny
    Like it very much. What pattern is it? I certainly would like to try that.

It is a pattern called the Diamond Log Cabin Star and Dunster is selling this pattern. She is fast with the shipping if you pay via pay pal. I put it in a drawer and will try to do some thing with it another time. I might just make a table topper out of what I have. I'm beginning to think maybe some of the fabrics are heavier than others as it is a bunch of miss match fabrics that I had, but one of these days I will do another one, but I have a terrable messy sewing room now and stuff all over the place, so I gotta finsh cleaning it up. Have a great day, Huggies, Fay