Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • This pattern is called Honey Buns >
  • This pattern is called Honey Buns

• This pattern is called Honey Buns

Old 07-17-2024, 10:47 AM

Default This pattern is called Honey Buns

This is a Villa Rosa Pattern, but it probably goes by lots of other names. Snowball blocks. That's all it is. Charm squares "snow balled" and 1 1/2 in strips sewn to them so they offset. I bought the charm squares at a yard sale; there were about 110 of them. I specifically bought the white print fabric you see on the back to use as my background. Then I decided wanted more contrast so I found the dark blue in my stash. As it turned out the white I bought was almost the right size for the back. It became the right size when I added the leftover charm squares that I didn't use on the front. Quilted the snowballs with a free form spiral. Loved how it turned out. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Thumbnails honey-buns-front.jpg   honey-buns-back.jpg  
    Old 07-17-2024, 11:35 AM

Good shopping! I really never thought to do snow walls altogether but it looks great. This pattern would make a cute boys ball quilt. Love the spiral quilting and how you made the backing fit. Are the spirals done free hand or programmed quilting? Looks to be about 40 something x 50 something, maybe…
    Old 07-17-2024, 07:42 PM
    Power Poster

Lovely quilt! I would call it Lemon Drops because it reminds me of candies.
    Old 07-18-2024, 01:47 AM

I like how the blue background makes the colors pop. The pattern was the perfect one for your charms...and great job finding them at a yard sale. The free form spiral adds the perfect finish to the quilt. Please share what color thread you used to quilt the spiral. Congrats on making this amazing quilt!
    Old 07-18-2024, 03:54 AM

All my thoughts were already posted by others! Wonderful quilt, love the colors and the spirals in the charm squares. Now I want to make one of these too...my bucket list just keeps growing. LOL
    Old 07-18-2024, 06:15 AM

It's terrific! I love that it's a simple pattern, but so effective!
    Old 07-18-2024, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by toogie
    Good shopping! I really never thought to do snow walls altogether but it looks great. This pattern would make a cute boys ball quilt. Love the spiral quilting and how you made the backing fit. Are the spirals done free hand or programmed quilting? Looks to be about 40 something x 50 something, maybe…
    I agree this pattern would work for lots of juvenile fabrics. I FMQ the spirals on my DSM. It finished at 47 x 57 so it is nice size. Not too big, not too small.
    Old 07-18-2024, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by copycat
    I like how the blue background makes the colors pop. The pattern was the perfect one for your charms...and great job finding them at a yard sale. The free form spiral adds the perfect finish to the quilt. Please share what color thread you used to quilt the spiral. Congrats on making this amazing quilt!
    At that yard sale the woman was a quilter and had LOTS of fabric. I restrained myself and bought the charms and a 7 yard piece of fabric that I can eventually use for backings. I used a variegated Aurifil thread (pink/blue/yellow/green rainbow). A while ago I bought a sampler pack of variegated thread. One was browns, one was greys and one was the rainbow. I didn't think I would like the rainbow, but it turns out it is very cool and I have used it on a couple of quilts. Adds a little something something :-). Thanks for your kind words.
    Old 07-18-2024, 08:16 AM

Wow, lucky find and awesome quilt! Beautiful work!
    Old 07-18-2024, 09:46 AM

I really like the fabric in the charm squares! There's something about the rainbowy way the colours blend. The blue is perfect for toning them down while showing them off.