Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Pic of 1st attempt Paper Piecing CALLED SUNRISE >
  • Pic of 1st attempt Paper Piecing CALLED SUNRISE

• Pic of 1st attempt Paper Piecing CALLED SUNRISE

Old 06-28-2008, 08:16 AM

OMG you are all so kind. You have got to try this girls. Wish I lived nearer and I could give you a TUTE. Thinks I have to buy a ticket to Dallas where my friend lives. How many of you guys can get there :?: :?: :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Melisa (mgshaw) I think its called the Friendship Star, someone has borrowed my pattern envelope and its in there but will confirm later.

Elle
    Old 06-28-2008, 08:39 AM

There was a design recently in a quilt magazine that I sooooo wanted to do - so I got out some scraps and followed the directions and all - it's true that the points come out beautifully, but the process is not for me! Soooo much wasted fabric, and in the back of my miserly little mind is the thought that if paper dulls my scissors, what is it doing to my needle??? (like there will never be another needle, right?)

I will continue, however, to admire the results and encourage those of you who are loving the process! :D
    Old 06-28-2008, 08:43 AM
    bj

That is just gorgeous. Our quilt shop is offering a pp workshop. Now, I must sign up. Love yours.
    Old 06-28-2008, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
    OMG you are all so kind. You have got to try this girls. Wish I lived nearer and I could give you a TUTE. Thinks I have to buy a ticket to Dallas where my friend lives. How many of you guys can get there :?: :?: :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Melisa (mgshaw) I think its called the Friendship Star, someone has borrowed my pattern envelope and its in there but will confirm later.

Elle

I can be in Dallas in 5 or 6 hours!!!! I will be waiting!!!!!!! :wink:
    Old 06-28-2008, 09:01 AM

Elle,
    I can be in Dallas in 8 hours, I'll be waiting too!

That's not the friendship star that I use for my quilts, but could be a variation.

MJ
    Old 06-28-2008, 09:27 AM

So beautiful Elle. The colors are great.
    Old 06-28-2008, 09:59 AM

I can be in Dallas in 5 or 6 hours!!!! I will be waiting!!!!!!! :wink: [/quote]

Melissa, 5 or 6 hours heh that is cool, well will take me 12 hours flying time from England, but I got to get to London to fly to Dallas so thats another 3 hours, You got it easy girl, at that rate you will be waiting on me. :lol:

Well forget what I told you about the name of it its called SUNRISE and its a design by CAROL DOAK. Book: Mariners Compass Stars by Carol Doak.

Okay I have had a search on the web and found this one place in Tennessee that holds loads of classes.

http.www.mountainquiltfest.com/descriptions.asp

Unfortunately the classes were for March, but I am sure if you phone them they will have loads more. Phone 1-800-251-9100 or (865) 453-8574

Email: [email protected] for info on classes

Elle :D :D
    Old 06-28-2008, 10:44 AM

Sure doesn't look like a first attempt to me!!! The colors are wonderful!
    Old 06-28-2008, 11:08 AM
    Izy

Originally Posted by Quiltinsolitude
    There was a design recently in a quilt magazine that I sooooo wanted to do - so I got out some scraps and followed the directions and all - it's true that the points come out beautifully, but the process is not for me! Soooo much wasted fabric, and in the back of my miserly little mind is the thought that if paper dulls my scissors, what is it doing to my needle??? (like there will never be another needle, right?)

I will continue, however, to admire the results and encourage those of you who are loving the process! :D
    Elle - Hope you don't mind me muscling in here...but I wanted to share a tip on how to paper piece and NOT waste fabric!!

1. Lay fabric for piece one down wrong side up.
    2. Lay the pattern over the top, ensuring there is adequate fabric extending beyond all edges by at least 1/4"
    3. Place a ruler along the first side, then flip the pattern up and over the ruler being careful not to move it, exposing the fabric.
    4. Butt up tight against the ruler a second 1/4" 'add-on' ruler - then draw your line. (This is your seam allowance)
    5. Very carefully lay the pattern back down.
    6. Now repeat on each side of Piece one.

You now have an identical copy of the pattern but with 1/4" seam allowance added.

Repeat with each part of the foundation pattern.
    If you layer up your fabric you can cut multiples at the same time, as alot of patterns are symetrical and usually are made up of four identical blocks, as Elle's is. :D

If you take your time at this stage - then all you have to do is match up the edges of the fabric, making sure if it is on the diagonal that you have it centred correctly!!

Tah dah - Now I figured that out as I am very frugal with fabric!!!!
    Plus found it so much easier in placing the fabric in the correct position :D

Is that as clear as mud...if you would like a photo tute....then just shout!!!! :lol: :lol: ...........I can already hear you folks tee hee!!!!
    Old 06-28-2008, 11:13 AM

OK I'M SHOUTING.........I would love to have a photo tute. I've always wanted to try pp but am scared.