Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • picking material >
  • picking material

• picking material

Old 11-06-2009, 04:39 AM

Sorry!! Pressed the wrong key.
    Any way to continue... I didn't feel pressured... just embarrassed because I didn't know what I wanted. I finally asked what is the best way to approach this dilema and this is the advice she gave. Pick out a fabric such as a floral with colors that you love..You're not going to necessarily buy this fabric.. just take colors from it and they will coordinate, make sure to vary shades so that you have a good variety lights, mediums, darks etc.. Hope this helps.
    Old 11-06-2009, 05:11 AM

Funny that this pops up - I was just at the LQS and told them I need to hire a fabric selector for me!! I have a VERY hard time choosing fabrics to go together welll - they helped me that day and now I will have a beautiful quilt!! :lol:
    Old 11-06-2009, 05:23 AM

I googled and found all these sites maybe they will be helpful :D :D :wink:
    http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...cs+for+a+quilt
    Old 11-06-2009, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by ctquilter
    ... this is the advice she gave. Pick out a fabric such as a floral with colors that you love..You're not going to necessarily buy this fabric.. just take colors from it and they will coordinate, make sure to vary shades so that you have a good variety lights, mediums, darks etc.. Hope this helps.
    That's a great idea! Also, I never knew since I did not sew before discovering quilting, those little color dots on the selvedges are the colors that will coordinate with that piece of fabric.
    Old 11-06-2009, 07:59 AM

tarib, this is such a great topic. don't we all agonize over just the right combinations of fabrics to make the perfect quilt?? one that is destined to be cherished by generations and after about a hundred years find its way to a quilt museum where future quilters will wax rapsodyck (sp) over the craftsmanship and taste of the forgotten quilter who created this perfect speciman??? but enough about my aspirations 8) lol

i have a fair stash of fabrics separated into color families. when i have a germ of an idea i start by selecting what i think will be my focal fabric. then i start pulling fabrics that "like" it. i don't use a color wheel, too limiting for me.

i lay out combinations of fabrics on a plain surface. sometimes i lay a white sheet on the bed and lay out my combination of material. then i stand back and use a viewing glass to get perspective. i sometimes even take the fabric outside if i cant decide if they get along. natural light really helps. i invariably end up with an entirely different combination than i started with. :roll: :roll:

there is a saying that applies for me in choosing fabric combinations, "color gets the credit while value does the work".
    most of all i encourage you to experiment with many different combinations and remember, THERE ARE NO QUILT POLICE!!!!!!!!!

p.s. these are strictly my opinions and anyone who disagrees can just make their own quilts :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old 11-06-2009, 08:14 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Another tip I just saw recently is when you've laid out your choices, squint at them. If one fabric leaps out at you, chances are it doesn't 'go' - unless this is an effect you're looking for! This tip is particularly useful when trying to put fabrics together in a certain value range, ie light, medium, dark. :D Re scrappy - here I think if the pieces are small OR enclosed with a lot of neutral such as a cream or white - ANYTHING goes! Even an 'ugly' fabric will blend if you cut it small enough. :D
    Old 11-09-2009, 09:07 AM

I agree with you nanabird - and you have to keep in mind that even though it may not look quite right when you are "previewing" your selection, once they all get put together, it is kind of like a "viola moment" :D
    Old 11-09-2009, 09:11 AM
    Power Poster

Actually I stand for hours too, and even then I am not sure of what I have picked. Just keep staring and some things pop up and say "pick me".
    Old 11-09-2009, 09:16 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quilter2B
    I agree with you nanabird - and you have to keep in mind that even though it may not look quite right when you are "previewing" your selection, once they all get put together, it is kind of like a "viola moment" :D
    Absolutely! I find that fabrics that look kind of 'ok' laid out, generally look great all pieced together. :D I also try to lay them out roughly in the proportions I plan on using them. EG leave more of the main fabric showing than the others. I'm not explaining myself very well, I hope you know what I mean. :D