Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Pictures of my new studio! >
  • Pictures of my new studio!

• Pictures of my new studio!

Old 07-28-2009, 02:21 PM

Ethel---your new room is fabulous!! You are going to be doing a lot of sewing and crafting in there.

(My husband and) I made my design wall with foam insulation boards--cut to size and taped together, where needed. Then I covered it with white flannel and taped it to the back of the insulation board. We attached it to the wall with screws and washers (to keep the screws from going all the way through the foam board).
    Old 07-28-2009, 02:32 PM

What a nice setup! There is something so fun about a sewing room! :)
    The windows is wonderful and the room looks so light-filled! And a closet, that will be handy! I did notice the really great wall you have for a design wall. There are many ways to make them, I'll include a link to a picture of one of mine, which also includes a detailed description about how I made it and what I used. Likely you'll get a lot of input with ideas on these, but here's mine:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/athomesewing/2726109619/

Old 07-28-2009, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by hokieappmom
    Originally Posted by Ethel A
    I can still do some cardmaking and scrapbooking, in here. This is my stash of cardstock, papers, tools, etc. The baskets hold some fabric.
    Where did you get your plastic containers? I quilt and stamp also and have not found a good solution for organizing stamps (I have a lot). Do you have any suggestions about that, so you know where to go for a particular stamp? The ones I bought as sets are still in the original container, but the ones I purchased separately are harder for me to organize. Thanks.
    I bought these stackable containers at Office Depot. There are eight containers in the picture that you see (two stacked on top of each other). I hope this helps. They cost roughly $25 each.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
    What a nice setup! There is something so fun about a sewing room! :)
    The windows is wonderful and the room looks so light-filled! And a closet, that will be handy! I did notice the really great wall you have for a design wall. There are many ways to make them, I'll include a link to a picture of one of mine, which also includes a detailed description about how I made it and what I used. Likely you'll get a lot of input with ideas on these, but here's mine:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/athomesewing/2726109619/

Where can you get that fomular thing? and is that just something that makes u able to "stick" stuff on it kinda?
    Old 07-28-2009, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by sunnyhope

Where can you get that fomular thing? and is that just something that makes u able to "stick" stuff on it kinda?

Foamular is available at Home Depot or other building supply stores. It provides the base of a design wall, something that felt change be attached to. Fabric pieces, or blocks, usually cling to the felt, however because there is a layer of Foamular underneath, pinning straight into the design wall is easy as well.
    Old 07-28-2009, 04:38 PM

i m not sure i can get that brand here, is there something spesifiq i can ask for?
    We dont have home depot but similar shops i can ask :wink:
    Old 07-28-2009, 04:53 PM

Sorry, I didn't realize where you are. Technically, it is Extruded Polystyrene Insulation. You can ask about that, or Rigid Foam Insulation Board. It does not have any sort of paper on either side.

It is lightweight, usually comes in Pink, another brand is Blue in color, but it is not the same thing as white styrofoam boards, which are not good for design walls because they crumble.

Here is a link to a photo of a Foamular board:

http://www.metrosupplycollc.com/image/33537191.jpg

Old 07-28-2009, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
    Sorry, I didn't realize where you are. Technically, it is Extruded Polystyrene Insulation. You can ask about that, or Rigid Foam Insulation Board. It does not have any sort of paper on either side.

It is lightweight, usually comes in Pink, another brand is Blue in color, but it is not the same thing as white styrofoam boards, which are not good for design walls because they crumble.

Here is a link to a photo of a Foamular board:

http://www.metrosupplycollc.com/image/33537191.jpg

Thanks ur a star ; and dont worry about forgetting where i m from,lol; i think most of you do :wink:

I guess i can always write really bad english or even worse, i ll write norwegian he he
    Old 07-28-2009, 06:12 PM

Wonderful studio! I love the window. Will it still look as good when you start sewing in it? Now when will be see your first creation made in that beautiful room! :lol:
    Old 07-28-2009, 06:20 PM

hi Ethel, I too live in Florida and don't cover that window, we have such natural sunlight here! As for your desining wall, I've seen many on this board say they use flannel backings of vinyl tablecloths or I use a yard of felt with batting and cover it around a foam board, its lighter and covers a great area.