Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Pictures of scrap blocks >
  • Pictures of scrap blocks

• Pictures of scrap blocks

Old 11-05-2009, 05:17 AM

Here are some of mine. I have about 50 of the 16-patch and about a dozen crumb blocks. I'm going to try to a few of each kind on a regular basis.[img]

ranger

[IMG]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...j/100_1457.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...j/100_1456.jpg[/IMG]
    Old 11-05-2009, 05:34 AM

wow ranger I love those crumb blocks.

I have to say that even when being scrappy the blocks can look so well planned :D
    Old 11-05-2009, 05:42 AM

All of the blocks look so wonderful!! But I really have a stupid question for the people who make blocks out of scraps. I have a bin in which I've placed all those nice pieces that I just couldn't bear to throw out and now the bin is running over. How do you pick what goes with what? My daughter says that I'm "color coordinated" challenged so sometimes I can pick some real losers in quilt fabrics. How do you decided which scraps go where?????

Old 11-05-2009, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Deecee
    Your blocks look great Omak. Not being familiar with American money, can you tell me what size they are?

I have just bought some plastic drawers to start cutting and sorting my scraps after reading the Scrap User's System on Quiltville.com and look forward to seeing some inspiring scrap blocks/quilt photos on your thread.
    I took another picture with a ruler beside it. In case the numbers don't show up, I measured the 1/4 triangle square at 5/8 of an inch. Most of the narrow strips are 1/2 inch ... and, some blocks have more narrow ones than that, but not many.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-23520.jpe  
    Old 11-05-2009, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    All of the blocks look so wonderful!! But I really have a stupid question for the people who make blocks out of scraps. I have a bin in which I've placed all those nice pieces that I just couldn't bear to throw out and now the bin is running over. How do you pick what goes with what? My daughter says that I'm "color coordinated" challenged so sometimes I can pick some real losers in quilt fabrics. How do you decided which scraps go where?????
    I practice the "bag technique" ... I put everything in a bag I cannot see through, and then just start pulling pieces out and put them where they will fit. Are there clashes? oh, yeah! but, as you can see through the other pictures ... in the end, it all looks good.
    As I have gathered more scraps, I don't have to do that any more, but I do the same thing .. just grab and sew ... it is almost mindless. I comfort myself that when I finally get all my scrappy blocks together, I will pick sashing that is one thing ... everything else will looked planned, even though, none of it was! (That is my theory, anyway <g>)
    As far as being color challenged? I appreciate almost all the colors, though I do have my favorites! But, daughter is always telling me that pink and brown, blue and brown (and, some other combinations) don't go together ... yeah??? Well, they do when I like them. Even when I am just pulling and sewing, if there is something that really doesn't please me, I go get something else!
    when I started picking colors, I was learning to knit and I put together a four piece pincushion - - blue, turquoise, yellow and hot pink ... might have been strange in the early 60s, but it wasn't too long when it became the "norm"!
    To all who have become interested in the "Scrap Saver System" at the Quiltville site - - GOOD GOING!
    I agree with the one who wrote - - I bought it, might as well use it!
    and, all those little pieces? I figure: the more seams, the more layers of fabric, the more warmth will be enjoyed
    I may be wrong <g> ... but, it seams to make sense to me. And, as long as I quilt slowly, my machine doesn't seem to have any trouble with my scrap quilts.
    Old 11-05-2009, 06:21 AM

Omak, thanks sew much for the insight!! I've heard of the "paper bag" method before but have never tried it. I'm always "what if-ing" myself -- what is it doesn't look good, what if I don't like it, what if NO one likes it, etc. Guess I need to learn to be a little more relaxed, huh? :lol: But you've convinced me to try this in the near future!! :D

Old 11-05-2009, 06:33 AM

OH! I am soooo glad!
    I figure it this way! I liked the fabric when I picked it out at the store ... or put it into a certain quilt ... it isn't going to be a problem <g> ...
    I can hardly wait to see your first block! And, the many others that will follow.
    Now, sewjoyce! Have you got some semblance of order for your scraps?
    Do you need the link to Quiltville?
    She is the one that really got me moving on this stuff <g>.

http://quiltville.com/

Just think of your scrap quilt as a Quilt Store on a bed, and it will be JUST fine! <g>
    Old 11-05-2009, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    I had no plan I just picked pieces from the pile and and sewed them together. I think that a scrappy quilt looks good because any colors that clash are lost in the overall look.

I'm thinking of using the 16-patch blocks in a quilt called 'Purple Stars'.

http://carterquilter.files.wordpress...2/img_2292.jpg

Izy posted a pic of a quilt that will be my inspiration for using the crumb blocks. Thank you Izy.

ranger

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/19941.page
    (look at Izy's second pic)

Old 11-05-2009, 07:24 AM

Thats great. Good job. Now I want to go get into my scraps.
    Hey I posted a website on the SS site but incase you didn't get it its a great way to use scraps and make beautifal Christmas presents.
    Its a no sew project too. You just push fabric in a board after drawing
    the design. I'll post it here too. You go into Captured Colors / Quilt Magic
    and shows all the patterns and the board to use. I had a problem gettting into it so if you want to call her for a brouchure her name is Elise and her number is (909) 584-9897 I did scan part of the brouchure but I had a problem downloading but I can try again
    Have a day and have fun with those scraps.
    Attached Files
    File Type: pdf
    Attachment-57356.pdf (3.27 MB, 175 views)
    Old 11-05-2009, 07:26 AM

Well I guess you have to press the dowload button and the picture comes
    up. Sorry about that.