Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Please help ... >
  • Please help ...

• Please help ...

Old 07-15-2009, 10:21 PM

I made a kaleidoscope star wall hanging once.. it was 12 stars, sashed into a wall hanging 36x45. all hand pieced and quilted.. I charged $250. for it.
    Old 07-16-2009, 05:02 AM
    Banned

gosh i don't know what to sell it for. i'm horrible at pricing, but it sure is pretty. good luck with it :D
    Old 07-16-2009, 05:02 AM

I love the colors you used!!
    Old 07-16-2009, 06:24 AM

I am afraid that I don't know what your acronoms mean. Is it handquilted? I would charge at least $10 a square foot plus materials. Anyone who is at all familiar with quilts should be glad to pay that much.

Good luck.
    Old 07-16-2009, 06:43 AM

Thank you all for the input!! It really helps. I think $30 to $50 is pretty fair, the longest part was to piece the half square triangles together. The quilting is done by machine and didn't take too long and was a lot of fun.
    Old 07-18-2009, 07:56 PM

i have always set an hourly price for my labour (in a well-to-do suburb of manhattan, that was $10.00 per hour twenty years ago). so for a quilt that took say, twenty hours, the price would have been $200. added to that would have been my incidentals - thread, battings, etc. customers bought their own fabrics. so a twenty hour quilt, twenty years ago would have cost $220. +/-, when a dollar meant something.

hourly rate is still the way to go. it determines the difference between small and large. difficulty takes longer and should cost more, right? hourly rate times the hours that it takes, plus whatever you spent.

where you live determines the hourly rate. what does a tailor charge in your area? a dental technician? you also have skills. find out what they get an hour and judge from there. see what other quilters, artists, craftsmen, woodworkes, etc. get in your area. respect your abilities.

the longer it takes, the higher the price. the more difficult, the longer it takes. it works out rationally in the end. size is not the real issue. a teeny weeny one that is made of 1" hst is more difficult that a medium sized one made of 2" squares, right? it's the longer time that ups the price. it also makes the quilt a work of art. even though the hourly rate doesn't change.

EDIT: lots of women think that because they work at home their labor is not as valuable as someone who leaves home. not true!

let us know what you find out.
    Old 07-18-2009, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    Rule of thumb is usually 3 times what the materials cost you.
    So, say you paid $10 for all fabric and whatnot, then $30 would be the price. BUT, with that said, are there places in your area that sell these items? If so, check those out and see what they charge.
    Now, with that said...I'd charge no less than $50, but then again, I don't know the size.
    terri, would you really sell a quilt for 3x what it cost to make it? if you spent $20 on materials and you made a quilt out of 1" hexagons and it was 24 x 24, would you still sell it for $60.? or would you simply not do it? how many hours would that take?
    Old 07-18-2009, 08:15 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by butterflywing
    So, say you paid $10 for all fabric and whatnot, then $30 would be the price. BUT, with that said, are there places in your area that sell these items? If so, check those out and see what they charge.
    Now, with that said...I'd charge no less than $50, but then again, I don't know the size.
    terri, would you really sell a quilt for 3x what it cost to make it? if you spent $20 on materials and you made a quilt out of 1" hexagons and it was 24 x 24, would you still sell it for $60.? or would you simply not do it? how many hours would that take?
    the hourly rate starts to break down in some area's of the country because the price can go thru the roof.

its not uncommon for someone to spend 30-40 hours on a complex quilt but would have an extremely hard time finding a buyer for it at a price of $3000-$4000 and thats based of your price of 20 years ago.

pricing needs to be based on your local area and what that market place can bring - some it can be an hourly price and other times it can't be.

whats the point of making a product that no one who lives in your community can afford.

its best to understand your local market place and then produce products that those people would like to purchase at a price they are willing to spend.

it would be absolutely crazy for me to think that people in rural america would love and want to own one of my abstract art quilts and pay me $3000 for it.

i live in a neighborhood where the average home is $1 million dollars and moving a $3000 quilt takes a lot of work.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:29 PM

that was why i suggested finding out what a tailor in the community charges. the skills are comparative. in an area that does not command high prices, you find that the hourly rate is not high. the entire cost of living is not high. if the hourly rate in a community is $2 an hour for a tailor, then that is what the rate should be for a sewer. if an artist makes $3 then a quilter should shoot for the same. it should still be based on hours of labor, so that it evens out, large, small, easy, difficult, etc. a large, easy quilt takes fewer hours than a smaller pointier quilt and should be less expensive because of the fewer hours.

the labor is still worth something, whatever the going rate is.
    Old 07-18-2009, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
    I was just stating what I have read and what others have usually based their prices on. I cannot sell a quilt here. One..it's too hot and two...they just don't want to pay the price. I had a small baby quilt with a $50 price on it and the lady wanted to give me $20 for it. Cost me about $20 just for the fabric!
    I made a quilt for an auction. Total price for all materials was a little over $100. That didn't include the time it took me to make it. It sold for $100. I was sick!! I almost took it back and said I wasn't selling it, but all money made was for a good cause. Will I make another one for this cause? Nope! I'll donate something smaller and less. It's not that people didn't have the money, it's the people here just don't understand the time and energy that is put into something that is homemade, plus, this was/is an one of a kind item. There aren't alot of handmade items here.

And in answer to your question....No, I wouldn't sell a quilt like you say for that amount of money. For one, I don't think I could get fabric for that price and also, I would have to charge a "by the hour" fee for it because of the detailed work.
    Adding in extra for detail work is different.
    If it were just a quilt that I made, just pieced blocks, something simple and I spent $60 for materials for it, then yes, I'd probably let it go for $180.