Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • PP carpenter's wheel >
  • PP carpenter's wheel

• PP carpenter's wheel

Old 09-29-2014, 05:38 AM

Very nice blocks! Haven't seen the Carpenters Star done on such a small scale. Good for you for planning the PP pattern.
    Old 09-29-2014, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B
    Great choice of colors for depth. Did you say you pp this block? It is HSTs and squares, right? 12-1/2" unfinished? There are 8 across, so would that be 2" squares and if using the Right Angle template you could cut the HSTs from that same size strip........ Granted a bit of layering changes, but not too confusing....I am just thinking "out loud" here...I really only do PP for very angular, pointy piecing.....I guess my first choice is piecing rather than PP!
    Yes, 2 inch sections. Traditional piecing would be HST and squares. I really like PP and how it keeps everything in it's place and straight, how I don't have to worry about perfect 1/4 inch seams, or fussy cutting all those tiny pieces, or bias stretch.
    Old 09-29-2014, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by orchidsews
    Beautiful job!! PP is on my bucket list..which is over flowing. LoL
    PP is the bomb as far as I am concerned. Once you get the technique down it is so freeing you'll not want to go back to regular piecing.
    Old 09-30-2014, 02:43 AM
    Power Poster

I love the carpenter's star. Beautiful colors. on number 2 block picture.
    Old 09-30-2014, 03:07 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Very pretty !!!
    Old 09-30-2014, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra
    Yes, 2 inch sections. Traditional piecing would be HST and squares. I really like PP and how it keeps everything in it's place and straight, how I don't have to worry about perfect 1/4 inch seams, or fussy cutting all those tiny pieces, or bias stretch.
    Ok now I am going to get jumped on again by some here, but my way of thinking, and it is indeed the "old school"...is if this block is done with HSTs (done the " old way")and squares there is no bias stretching as all of the bias edges..... Those being the angle seam of the HST are locked in, so to speak.......whereas when pp, the bias possibility could be anywhere because one just grabs a chunk of fab, lays it on pattern, not necessarily concerning oneself with direction of weave, and sews down on line....? As far as worrying about 1/4" seams.......that's just a basic of the process...

I have done pp, not often, but I do agree for some "sticky" patterns it saves a lot of messes!...and does allow for very complex, otherwise impossible design elements.......

Ok, have my flameproof outfit on, so have at it!
    Old 09-30-2014, 04:49 AM

Player's choice, I say.
    Old 09-30-2014, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B
    Ok now I am going to get jumped on again by some here, but my way of thinking, and it is indeed the "old school"...is if this block is done with HSTs (done the " old way")and squares there is no bias stretching as all of the bias edges..... Those being the angle seam of the HST are locked in, so to speak.......whereas when pp, the bias possibility could be anywhere because one just grabs a chunk of fab, lays it on pattern, not necessarily concerning oneself with direction of weave, and sews down on line....? As far as worrying about 1/4" seams.......that's just a basic of the process...

I have done pp, not often, but I do agree for some "sticky" patterns it saves a lot of messes!...and does allow for very complex, otherwise impossible design elements.......

Ok, have my flameproof outfit on, so have at it!
    No need for flameproof outfit from me. That is why there are so many ways of "skinning the cat" b/c we all have different skill sets, talents, personalities, ways of doing stuff. PP works very well for me, the traditional HST for others.

By the way I don't just willy nilly wack at fabic for PP I cut specific widths of strips and use those, almost no waste, and easier to control bias placement.
    Old 09-30-2014, 07:24 AM

Nicely done!
    Old 09-30-2014, 07:50 AM

Carpenter's Star is my favourite pattern & yours is terrific. I love seeing what other quilters have done with this pattern. Tks for sharing.