Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   8:00 PM and I need boy fabric! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/8-00-pm-i-need-boy-fabric-t189742.html)

SheriR 05-22-2012 08:19 PM

WOW you're fast! I love what you're doing. Loved the fabrics you picked!

QuiltingCrazie 05-22-2012 08:48 PM

Love it if you wanted to lighten it you could add a few turquoise blocks randomly throughout it. Fabulous!

Julie in NM 05-23-2012 03:03 AM

Know the prob finding boy fab. I sew Quilts of KIds and have trouble find young man prints...seems all I find are floral. Love you fabs!

katesnanna 05-23-2012 03:19 AM

Love your choice of fabric. Will look forward to seeing the finished quilt.

ArtsyOne 05-23-2012 03:26 AM

Thanks so much for posting an "in progress" - although I loved your fabrics when you first posted, I had no idea what I would have done with them. Your choice is so much better than anything I would have imagined. Keep posting!

ruthrings 05-23-2012 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b (Post 5235999)
I understand - when a fabric talks to you - you have to listen :) and it is even worse when the whole top is telling you where it belongs :shock: LOL

The fabrics you have picked are great ! Can't wait to see the whole new top together

So I go into quilt shops and it sounds like I'm hearing a whole Brooklyn Tablernacle CHOIR!!! lol Now I know why. lol

cjstewart415 05-23-2012 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by JanTx (Post 5235981)
So where do I go? Wal-mart. Where I find expanded shelves AND a clerk on duty! She said that after Sept.1 there will be a remodel - a larger department and possibly a full-time clerk.

Yes, I prefer my LQS. But ... this is for a high school grad from our church. I make a quilt for each graduate and this one fell through the cracks. Even his own uncle - who is our youth director - forgot he was graduating. So .. I tried my stash, but nothing felt right. I'm going to make a point of picking up more guy fabs when I find sales.

Side Note: I had some great guy fq's, but when I put them together they didn't feel like this young man - they felt like our dear preacher whose 10th anniversary with us will be this fall so ... they certainly couldn't go to this grad! (Anyone know what I mean there... I even started quilting it and told my husband ... this is not Garrett's quilt. It's John's.)

So ... the far right fab is the center of a block, framed with the black. The next 3 are borders and the last one is the backing. Paid from $3.94 to $5.44/yd.

Off of here and to the cutting board!

These will look great together. I love the southwest look fabric.

PolkaBabe 05-23-2012 06:17 AM

Like the darker border.

JanTx 05-23-2012 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingCrazie (Post 5236378)
Love it if you wanted to lighten it you could add a few turquoise blocks randomly throughout it. Fabulous!

Rachel - I love that idea, but this is a zippedy-doo-dah quilt -- gotta get it done FAST -- and I bought just enough for each piece. I used Robert kaufmann's Quilt Calculator - an app on my phone - to figure the borders and it was a TIGHT fit! Trimmed them even to start the cuts and then had a sliver left over.

fivepaws 05-23-2012 07:31 AM

Great job, gorgeous quilt. Love the colors. Turquoise is my favorite stone as well as my favorite fabric.