Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Boye Needle Case (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/boye-needle-case-t121920.html)

tomilu 05-09-2011 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by sassy granny

Originally Posted by tomilu

Originally Posted by sassy granny
I have one of those too. Mine looks to be older than that. I know for a fact that it is over 60 years old. It also still has bobbin cases and needles. I haven't looked in it lately but I think there is a bobbin or 2 in it. My mom had an old singer machine that used that kind so I was holding on to them. She said I could have it but my sister took it to her house and she won't let me have it. She doesn't even sew. I could really use it but it's not worth hard feelings.

The seller said she had had it for 40 years. Do you know how you date them?
I know, my sis has our grandmother's Red Eye. I will get it if I outlive her, lol.

The one I have was in a store when I worked there as a teenager. The store was bought and sold about 3 times and I went back to work there again after my kids got grown. Everything was still the same old general store. I loved it for that reason. They had a fire while I was there and lost most everything but that survived and the owner gave it to me.
So I know how long it was there, just don't know how long before I ever saw it, but from what I remember, it didn't look new when I first saw it. It might be something to look into just for the heck of it. I wouldn't take anything for it.

There is an article on ISMACS about them. They first came out in I think 1910. Haven't found any dating info. Perhaps there will be a date on it.

oksewglad 05-09-2011 12:56 PM

This brings back memories! In the 60's, Mom would run one of us into town to the hardware store. I remember dashing in and getting needles in small wood containers from "Hank". You had to know the machine make to get the right needle. Mom usually bought a size 14 for her Universal sewing machine. Thanks for sharing.

okiepastor 05-09-2011 01:23 PM

That is really neat! Have never seen one in such good shape.

Dee 05-09-2011 03:43 PM

How awesome of a find.

Mariposa 05-09-2011 03:46 PM

Neat!!

KatFish 05-09-2011 06:26 PM

Awesome find!

wvdek 05-09-2011 06:48 PM

What a great find! I have not seen this specific one. I need to keep my eyes open for one.

By the way, I love your iris avatar pic. Do you know the specific name of that iris? Would llike to add to the garden. I need to see if Schreibers(sp) has it in their catalog.

tomilu 05-10-2011 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
What a great find! I have not seen this specific one. I need to keep my eyes open for one.

By the way, I love your iris avatar pic. Do you know the specific name of that iris? Would llike to add to the garden. I need to see if Schreibers(sp) has it in their catalog.

These iris were already here. The neighbor told me the lady planted all hybrid ones.

tomilu 05-10-2011 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by KatFish
Awesome find!

Thanks. My concern is that she said she let UPS pack it. Ugh!! Just peanuts!!! We shall see; should get it Friday.