Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   A Friend Asked Me If I Knew the Name of this Quilt Pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/friend-asked-me-if-i-knew-name-quilt-pattern-t185882.html)

LyndaOH 04-15-2012 10:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
4. On the corner of your ruler find the point that is 1/4" in from the bottom and 1/4" from the left side. Place that spot over any point in the seam between the middle strip and the bottom strip.

Once you've got that lined up, place the similar marking in upper right corner of your ruler on a spot in the seam between the middle strip and the top strip.

Make sure that the lower left corner is still lined up correctly.

Another spot to check are the other seams on the left and right sides. They should line up with the 3 1/4" mark on the ruler. On the ruler in the photo the line is in white. You can fudge this a bit, but not too much!

LyndaOH 04-15-2012 10:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
5. Cut around the 6 1/2" ruler. You've got a block!

GrannieAnnie 04-15-2012 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by calicocat (Post 5137199)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]327384[/ATTACH] Some one in his family made it. No other details. He is a man of few words.

Are the solids cut on the grain (where they are sewn to the prints)? The prints and plaids are.

earthwalker 04-15-2012 11:58 PM

Beautiful quilt, thanks for sharing. Lynda you are a legend, thanks for your work on this....I think we will be seeing "offspring" of this quilt on our board soon:)

deenatoo 04-16-2012 09:09 AM

Wow...didn't take you long to design that....thanks!! On my to do list!!

GrannieAnnie 04-16-2012 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by kateyb (Post 5137394)
This is a very nice quilt. It wouldn't be very hard to make a pattern for this. I don't recall ever seeing that particular design before. It would be a great signature quilt with the lights and darks reversed.

Put a plaid/print stripe between two strips of solid then cut the squares on a bit of a angle. Easy. Good use of scraps.

damaquilts 04-16-2012 12:17 PM

Lynda, thanks that is easy and it can really be made any size.

matraina 04-16-2012 02:17 PM

Don't know the name of it but I sure do like the looks of it.

LyndaOH 04-16-2012 02:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My pleasure! It can be made any size. The key measurement is the width of the center strip. Take your finished block size, divide in half and add 1/4". (You'd normally add 1/2" but since this is sewn at an angle you don't want the full 1/2".) So if you want an 8" finished block, the center strip would be 4 1/4" wide.

I do think you'll waste a lot of fabric with this method so when I make one (it's now on my very long list!) I'm going to make the top and bottom triangles from a rectangle. This will be much easier if I figure out how to trim the corners of the triangles so they line up properly with the central strip. I'll be working on that and will post a "trimmer" when I get it figured out.

I've also been experimenting with colors/values and you can create some really neat effects by varying the values of the darks. Here's an example:

nstitches4u 04-17-2012 06:38 PM

Thanks for the tutorial, Lynda.