Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I need help sorting my stash (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/i-need-help-sorting-my-stash-t43528.html)

Oklahoma Suzie 04-22-2010 06:12 PM

try a simple sort, like by color

nanabirdmo 04-22-2010 06:21 PM

Looks like you did a good job organizing your stash. I like your cabinet.
I keep my fabric organized according to colors, sort of. For ease of stacking and uniform appearance I fold around my 6 x 24 ruler which then slides out leaving a perfectly folded length of fabric. 6 inches by the depth of the shelf it will be stored on. I may have heard about this trick right here but can't remember for sure. lol

reginalovesfabric 04-23-2010 04:55 AM

when you get yours sorted come help me, I'll feed you.

Jingle 04-23-2010 05:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I folded mine something like the above but, I folded my large yardage pieces in half again and the smaller pieces just in half selvages to selvages. I put the large pieces along the back of cabinet and the shorter pieces front to back, now I take out a short stack to see the back pieces and find this works very well for me.

Top half
[ATTACH=CONFIG]25149[/ATTACH]

Bottom half
[ATTACH=CONFIG]25550[/ATTACH]

Pamela Artman 04-23-2010 05:44 AM

I sorted mine by type first, flannels, homespuns, 30's, civil war fabrics, Christmas, large florals, and baby fabrics. The rest I sorted by color and stacked them darkest on the bottom to lightest on top. I fold them in half salvage to salvage, then in half the other way so both ends are together. Then starting at the fold, I fold it over about 6 inches, then over again and again till I get to the end. So, it's folded like it was on the bolt, so it's easy to cut off what I need without unfolding the whole thing. The last fold makes it about 6 by 11" and I stack them with the fold side out. I am reorganizing a friend's sewing room right now and she has enough fabric for a quilt shop! It's fun, but is taking soooo long. She buys tone on tone white and cream fabric by the 10 yard piece and I refolded and stacked about 20 pieces! Her shelves are different sizes than mine and most of her pieces bigger, so I'm folding it in about 9" widths. I've done about 1/4th of her fabrics and I've already worked at it 3 or 4 afternoons. When I get done with the fabric on her shelves (2 walls, floor to ceiling) she has fabric in boxes in the hall, in another spare room, and downstairs. I figure I'll be at it for months!!

Boston1954 04-23-2010 06:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Plastic boxes. I love them. Get the clear ones so you can see what is in there without having to open each one.

vickig626 04-23-2010 06:54 AM

Good job of reorganizing. I've helped a couple of people organize there stash - both larger than mine. Here's the tips we used - my stash is done the same way.

Using your current shelving unit - either add 2 more shelves or buy those wire racks to create additional shelving (sorry if I don't describe it better). Then pick up some baskets that will fit in your cabinet. I use the ones you can get at the dollar store.

I then sort my fabric by color into each basket. Multi-color or odd designs are put into a separate basket.

I'll take a pic of mine and post it later if you want. It's really helped me and my 2 friends know what we have and pick from.

Hope this helps. Good Luck !!

Originally Posted by peggywho
I do have more fabric but these are the big pieces.

Here is what I did, I just took it all out and refolded it and
now it's somewhat color coated. Oh I LOVE this. Thanks for all of your help.

I'll be posting a project that I've started that's PP.

peggywho 04-23-2010 07:05 AM

Oh yes what a great idea, I'd love to see pictures of that.

craftiladi 04-23-2010 07:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have posted these before but if it will help anyone, here they are again. The closet holds all [ok most] of my printed fabric. The plastic containers hold fabric for future projects. These work great while I collect fabric for that particular project and then to remind me the projects are there waiting.

the 2nd pic is my rubbermaid drawers w/ solids.
Have fun organizing, I am anal about organizing.....love it, I know I am a sick puppy..lol.

vickig626 04-23-2010 07:59 AM

I alsolike your ribbon rack. Great Job

Originally Posted by craftiladi
I have posted these before but if it will help anyone, here they are again. The closet holds all [ok most] of my printed fabric. The plastic containers hold fabric for future projects. These work great while I collect fabric for that particular project and then to remind me the projects are there waiting.

the 2nd pic is my rubbermaid drawers w/ solids.
Have fun organizing, I am anal about organizing.....love it, I know I am a sick puppy..lol.