Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I won a ribbon on my St. Mark's wall hanging!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/i-won-ribbon-my-st-marks-wall-hanging-t220876.html)

twospoiledhuskies 05-09-2013 07:28 AM

No wonder you won-it looks great:thumbup::thumbup:

Daisy spot 05-09-2013 07:58 AM

Looks amazing!!!!!

IBQLTN 05-09-2013 10:59 AM

No wonder you won ... it is totally awesome!

Sallyjane 05-09-2013 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by jeanharville (Post 6053113)
A gorgeous quilt and congratulations for a very deserving work of art. I too would like to know the name of the pattern. Is it paper pieced or strip pieced? It looks absolutely perfect.

Here is the little "write-up" I did for my quiltshow entry. It should answer all of your questions:
St Mark’s Wall Hanging

I am fascinated with illusions in quilts, so when I first saw this design, I knew that I wanted to make one for myself. The St. Mark’s wall hanging, one of the quilts from Nora McMeeking’s Bella Bella Quilts: Stunning Designs from Italian Mosaics, is usually made with 3 or 4 different fabric; the rainbow of colors was my choice. I started this wall hanging in the spring of 2011, using the traditional paper piecing method. When I was about one third of the through the medallion wedges I saw a tutorial on “paperless piecing” and switch methods. The quilt was a lot of work, but the paperless piecing did make it a bit easier and I would recommend this method. I think this is one quilt that will stay at our house instead of being given away like most quilts I make!

Sallyjane 05-09-2013 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by wolf3349 (Post 6053351)
Could you PLEASE tell us the name of the pattern? It is truly amazing.

Here is all the info:
St Mark’s Wall Hanging

I am fascinated with illusions in quilts, so when I first saw this design, I knew that I wanted to make one for myself. The St. Mark’s wall hanging, one of the quilts from Nora McMeeking’s Bella Bella Quilts: Stunning Designs from Italian Mosaics, is usually made with 3 or 4 different fabric; the rainbow of colors was my choice. I started this wall hanging in the spring of 2011, using the traditional paper piecing method. When I was about one third of the through the medallion wedges I saw a tutorial on “paperless piecing” and switch methods. The quilt was a lot of work, but the paperless piecing did make it a bit easier and I would recommend this method. I think this is one quilt that will stay at our house instead of being given away like most quilts I make!

Sallyjane 05-09-2013 11:12 AM

St. Mark's Wall Hanging

Originally Posted by railroad (Post 6052652)
Beautiful quilt and choice of colors! Will you share the name of the pattern?

St Mark’s Wall Hanging

mimmy96 05-09-2013 11:12 AM

YAY!!! Great job!!!!

Sallyjane 05-09-2013 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid (Post 6048901)
Beautiful! :) I think viewers choice is an award I would rather get, it comes from your peers!

Would you mind sharing where you got the pattern? I'd love to piece this for my sis.

Sure, did I answer you already? I can not remember: here is the low down:
St Mark’s Wall Hanging

Sallyjane 05-09-2013 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by BrendaK (Post 6049198)
I bow down to you. That is a beautiful quilt. I agree with everyone else. That one would have taken the blue ribbon if I was a judge. What a thrill! Was it hard to make? How long did it take? What is the name of the pattern? Please.
BrendaK

Brenda, I thought I'd already replied, but I don't see it anywhere. So, sorry if I am repeating myself. Yes, it was hard to keep track of the pieces, what goes where. If you make one, you'll have to come up with a system that works for you. I highly recommend you buy the book and also the pattern pieces that are printed on freezer paper. They are sold separately. It took me 2 years from start to finish, but I did not work on it consistently. I work full time, have 8 grandkids, our mother-in-law lives with us and we care for her....I made lots of baby quilts, etc. for gifts during that same time. I exercise everyday... So I really can not say how long it took, but isn't it that way with most project? I rarely work on one thing from start to finish. Anyways, here is the info I submitted with my quilt:
St Mark’s Wall Hanging

jeanharville 05-09-2013 11:56 AM

Sally, thanks for having the patience to post your answer so many times. It's just so beautiful we were all curious about it and you.:)