Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I've been busy quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/ive-been-busy-quilting-t21614.html)

NorthernDeb 06-21-2009 09:46 AM

BEAUTIFUL machine quilting! I have a challenge quilt that Im working on right now and I would LOVE to be able to machine quilt it like you've done. I have been practicing for a bit now but I dont have a stitch regulator so I have to practice keeping the stitches the same size. Not the easiest thing! I have a few toenail catchers every so often :roll: Im going to try stenciling my design on some scrap fabric and practice some more before I start my new one. I'll be happy if mine turns out 1/2 as good as yours.

Lacelady 06-21-2009 10:08 AM

I agree NorthernDeb that it isn't as easy without the stitch regulator, as you have to learn to co-ordinate your foot with the speed of your hand movement, but I got all my meandering sorted before I got the regulator, so it is possible. This quilt was quite small, 20 in square, so was reasonably easy to move around, and my machine sits down in a cabinet. I couldn't do a thing without that. I had a friend who was trying to learn FM quilting with her machine sitting on a table, which as far as I was concerned, was practically impossible. She couldn't afford a cabinet, but finally splashed out on a SewEzi table, and has never looked back.

kluedesigns 06-21-2009 12:19 PM

i found the easiest way to regulate my stitches was to regulate the speed of my sewing machine.

since my sewing machine doesn't have any other way to regulate speed aside from the pedal, i had DH build me a brace that i insert my pedal into when i want to free motion quilt.

the brace keeps the speed of the needle constant that way the only thing i need to concern myself with is moving the fabric at a constant pace.

it works like a charm since no matter how hard i press down on the pedal the brace prevents it from speeding up the needle.

motomom 06-21-2009 12:32 PM

Beautiful!!! I love it!

littlehud 06-21-2009 01:16 PM

Beautiful. Love your feathers. Wish I could do them half as well.

Lacelady 06-21-2009 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
i found the easiest way to regulate my stitches was to regulate the speed of my sewing machine.

since my sewing machine doesn't have any other way to regulate speed aside from the pedal, i had DH build me a brace that i insert my pedal into when i want to free motion quilt.

the brace keeps the speed of the needle constant that way the only thing i need to concern myself with is moving the fabric at a constant pace.

it works like a charm since no matter how hard i press down on the pedal the brace prevents it from speeding up the needle.

Great idea Klue -you will have to get the DH to start making them for all the board members who don't have stitch regulators. If not, perhaps a picture of the said brace?

Lacelady 06-21-2009 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
Beautiful. Love your feathers. Wish I could do them half as well.

Thank you littlehud, everyone has been very kind with their comments, which have really cheered me.

gaigai 06-21-2009 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
I assure you that I sat over the last couple of days and wiggled the fabric under my machine. Perhaps I am knit picking with my own work, but then which of you are completely satisfied with your first efforts?

Well, if my stuff looked HALF as good as yours I'd be satisfied! Great job!!

Elsie 06-21-2009 02:46 PM

neat job like them all

omak 06-21-2009 05:23 PM

I think you did a dandy job!