Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   I've been busy quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/ive-been-busy-quilting-t21614.html)

jacquemoe 06-23-2009 08:21 PM

Are you kidding me??????? Your feathers are wonderful in the placemat. I see a striking resemblance to Sharon Schambers work in the second quilt. You did a fantastic job.

amma 06-23-2009 08:34 PM

Beautiful Quilting!!! I would love to see more of your work!!!! :D :D :D

NorthernDeb 06-24-2009 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
i found the easiest way to regulate my stitches was to regulate the speed of my sewing machine.

since my sewing machine doesn't have any other way to regulate speed aside from the pedal, i had DH build me a brace that i insert my pedal into when i want to free motion quilt.

the brace keeps the speed of the needle constant that way the only thing i need to concern myself with is moving the fabric at a constant pace.

it works like a charm since no matter how hard i press down on the pedal the brace prevents it from speeding up the needle.

Klue, what a GREAT idea... DH is a woodworker so this is his next job... find me something to brace the pedal :D Thanks for the idea!

GailG 06-24-2009 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Thank you for the lovely comments. I do have a Bernina with a stitch regulator, which helps, but I had already got the hang of FM quilting fairly evenly before I got this machine. I just wish I could get the feathers to look more even, but I intend to keep at it with the practicing.

Could someone please explain to me what a stitch regulator is. Does it come with the machine or is it something that can be purchased as an attachment? Also do all brands come with this feature? I have a Janome MC 4000.

Crissie 06-24-2009 07:24 AM

I think your work is lovely... Maybe you see what isn't right to your eye but others would never see anything wrong with your lovely work! I love the feathers and the blue work. You talk the prize!

Lacelady 06-24-2009 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by GailG

Thank you for the lovely comments. I do have a Bernina with a stitch regulator, which helps, but I had already got the hang of FM quilting fairly evenly before I got this machine. I just wish I could get the feathers to look more even, but I intend to keep at it with the practicing.

Could someone please explain to me what a stitch regulator is. Does it come with the machine or is it something that can be purchased as an attachment? Also do all brands come with this feature? I have a Janome MC 4000.

The Stitch regulator on a Bernina is rather like a complicated foot, with a little wire & plug attached that goes into a small socket underneath the head. When that is in place, it brings up a new window on the machine, giving you the options to straight stitch or zig zag stitch, and to alter the stitch length. Once that is done, you either put your foot down on the pedal, or press a start button, then when you move the fabric under the needle, the same (or closely similar) stitch length is sewn, regardless of how hard you press on the pedal, or how slow or quick you move the fabric. In other words, the hard work is done for you, so that you don't have to learn how to co-ordinate your foot and hands to acheive an even stitch length. As far as I know, Berninia is the only make with this 'gadget', and it only works for the top two or three models. No, you can't just buy the stitch regulator and hope it will work on an older model, sadly. I learned to stitch fairly regularly on my older Bernina, using pedal power and adjusting the movement of the fabric, so I had meandering fairly well before I had the new machine with the Regulator, so that all stood me in good stead.

Thank you everyone for even more lovely comments, you are all a very encouraging bunch of friendly ladies (sorry, people). I do admire Sharon Schamber's work, so when her books arrive (on order, see the 'Names' thread) , I will be attempting more things that will have the look of some of her work.

GailG 06-24-2009 03:15 PM

Thank you, LaceLady, for the very great explanation. Well, that's out for me. When you said "window" I knew then that it was out of my league. It sounds like something that would be good to have. Thanks again.

Lacelady 06-24-2009 03:19 PM

The only way I got mine Gail was because I got old. When I hit pensionable age, the UK Govt. took so long to start sending me my pension (to Ireland) that by the time I got it, I was two thirds of the way towards the machine of my dreams. After that, it was a no brainer! Mind you, for what it cost, it should drive me around the countryside, and cook my dinner for me too.

pennyswings 06-24-2009 03:41 PM

OK, the last couple of photos seemed to come out back to front, but I think you can get the gist. Here are a couple of close ups of the quilting.
I have been using the 'over the top of the feather' method, but some of mine could be better, as I didn't find it all that easy to stitch the second line directly over the first, and I wish I could get the feathers more even, but I will keep practicing!!!

I also think it would be easier to make it look nice if the same colour thread was used, rather than a contrast thread.

LaceLady you are way too hard on yourself girl! The quilting is phenominal! I know I am impressed.

Kyiav10 06-24-2009 04:21 PM

Beautiful!!

Kyia